This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few things (printing, touchpad mouse)

EDIT : See my next post in this thread for an updated list of troubles.

(Running Kubuntu 9.04/KDE 4.3)

So I've installed Firefox and customzed my Appearance to my liking - mostly dark blue backgrounds with pale yellow text and vice versa for selected tasks. A few things are off though, and I've been unable to figure out how to fix them. For instance, in Facebook chat I have white text (on white background), and on google my search buttons have pale yellow text. Now, my buttons are set as being light blue background (which they are) with black text. This works in Konqueror, just not firefox.

I did find this thread, but wasn't quite able to make much of it... I tried the command 'sudo apt-get gtk2-engines', but it fizzled. Am I trying to obtain the package they mentioned incorrectly? I noticed that in Appearance/Style/Widget Style there is a 'GTK+' option, but that didn't resovle this.

edit: upon further review, I have a gtk2.0 folder in KDE4/etc/gtk2.0, but it only has a file named 'im-multipress.conf'.

Additionally, any setting in which tables/listings with light/dark alternating lines have text color issues as well. Ie, 'details' view of anything in Dolphin.

Other things -
    -is there an equivalent program to IRfanview?Gwenview is close enough, although I've yet to get the plugins thing sorted
    -is there a way to tell Kubuntu to play an mp3 (or playlist) and then shut down?
    -Sometimes when I use the scroll on my mouse (touchpad), Kubuntu interprets this as a click. IE selecting a youtube video instead of scrolling down the related videos. This also happens when when viewing facebook albums and a number of other places, so i'm led to believe it's something more general.

I realize there's a lot there, so thanks for any help at all! I'm sure if I plug away long enough I'll figure out some of the basic color issues, but the firefox problems really have me stumped.

Re: A few things (FF, GTK2, colors)

is there an equivalent program to IRfanview?
    I see you signed it solved by workaround, but there is a real solution. You can install Irfanview in Wine. Maybe not the last version, I have 3.97. installed and works fine.

A middle button scrolls normally on many computers with Kubuntu, maybe on all except for yours.

Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

1)
      I did find this thread, but wasn't quite able to make much of it... I tried the command 'sudo apt-get gtk2-engines', but it fizzled. Am I trying to obtain the package they mentioned incorrectly?
      ...fizzled? Is that a technical term?

The command should be:
      sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines
      2)
      -is there a way to tell Kubuntu to play an mp3 (or playlist) and then shut down?
      Not as far as I know.

3)
      -Sometimes when I use the scroll on my mouse (touchpad), Kubuntu interprets this as a click.
      The fact that you have a touchpad means you have a laptop. What laptop? Make? Model? ...Have you tried the Mouse Controls?

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

(weeks later) okay, some of these have been resolved since this was posted. I recently moved to New Mexico from PA, so things have been a bit disorganized.

I've figured out the coloring issues and the firefox issues,

SO. Revised questions - I'm guessing Wine is a windows-simulating program that lets one run windows apps in linux. Anyone care to fill me in more?

I am still having mouse difficulties. Yes - I am on a laptop using a touchpad mouse (toshiba satellite). I suppose the proper question would be
        -How is my mouse functioning different from it would in xp?
        -How (if I should) would I go about returning it to something more akin to XP?

Finally, i've been having issues with my printer at work. I've successfully printed a test page (via printer configuration), but no documents. I've been through all of the standard troubleshooting (restarting, restarting printer, trying through localhost:631). From what I'm gathering from clips and phrases of old kubuntu tutorials, I may need to create a filesharing server (ie, Samba?) to print. Any thoughts?

Comment

Re: A few things (printing, touchpad mouse)

Wine

SOME Window apps will work with Wine BUT NOT all. Experience shows that there is a kind of hierarchy through Wine, Wine-doors, PlayOnLinux to the commercial versions e.g. Cedega and Win4Lin.

Have a look at "Frank's Corner" on http://frankscorner.org/

Touchpad

Exactly what model do you have? Other people might have used the same model and have a solution.

Printer

Make? Model? How do you connect? Presumably network (?) Wireless (?)
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 2345-S255.

The printer is a HP 2600n. I have had the same problems printing wirelessly and when directly connected via USB.

Comment

To install wine and Irfanview in it you need to write these commands:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get update
              sudo apt-get install wine
              sudo apt-get install cabextract
              wine iview410_setup.exe (or other version)
              Then Irfanview will be in Kickoff
              I copied it from page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine/IrfanView
              Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Irfanview (with the exception of its media player) works extremely well with wine.

From Irfan himself http://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm#Q47

Hope this helps

Comment

"-is there a way to tell Kubuntu to play an mp3 (or playlist) and then shut down?"

I am sure a "shell script" can do the trick for you. But I don't know how to write that script. Maybe some expert in this forum can give him a hand?

Comment

Working...
                  X