X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extremely laggy video

Hi everyone!

I've got quite a problem that's been getting on my nerves for quite a while, and I don't even know where to start; whenever I try to watch any kind of video (either online such as youtube or on my hard drive) the video is so slow that it is nearly unwatchable. My internet is quite fast so it is fully loaded in a matter of seconds, but once it starts to play each second takes about ten seconds, and I see each individual frame change. How can I solve this?

Re: Extremely laggy video

Hi,

We need more details, what hardware do you have? (graphics card). If Destop Effects are enabled, this can be a drag in most hardware, except the more powerful, dedicated PCI cards. So, disabling them in System Settings -> Desktop would be a good start ...

Comment

I know the graphics card is not the problem because I have an ati 9600 pro, and it works like a charm on windows. I do have desktop effects enabled, but the problem existed even before I did that. Recently, I've begun to notice the same problem with audio on my hard drive

Comment

Originally posted by dancraw4d
        I know the graphics card is not the problem because I have an ati 9600 pro, and it works like a charm on windows.
        Unfortunately, the fact that it works like a charm on Windows is no guarantee of anything. There may be issues with the Linux driver.

Comment

Exactly. Could you tell us if you allowed the binary NVidia driver in KMenu -> System -> Hardware Drivers?

Also, please do Ctrl+Esc and see if there is a process taking over the cpu(s) (and causing a lag in both video and audio?

Comment

You might try Compiz under KDE. Based on my own unscientific observations, Compiz was faster than Kwin in 4.2. I don't observe much difference between Kwin and Compiz in 4.3. If you have Compiz installed and configured properly, navigate to System Settings/Default Applications/Window Manager. Check "Use different window manager" and pick Compiz from the drop-down. If it's not there you probably need to install a missing package. It might help while you continue to investigate the problems with Kwin.
            linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

Working...
            X