This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMWare/Kubuntu Mousetrap Toolbar

I've been unable to get a response to this issue on the VMWare forums so I thought to try here since maybe someone else has seen this.

I'm doing software development with Kubuntu 8.10 in a VMWare 6.5 guest OS session under Windows XP. The IT department in their infinite wisdom won't allow a non-Windows box to connect to the network.

Everything works fine, except... when the Kubuntu VM is in full-screen mode the mouse pointer frequently gets "captured" by the full-screen VM drop-down toolbar at the top of the screen and it won't let go. When this occurs two mouse pointers are rendered on the screen - one is "stuck" on the vm toolbar and the other can be moved around, but whenever a button is clicked it jumps back to the pointer on the toolbar.

I've discovered two ways to recover from this. One is to Ctrl-Alt-Enter twice to exit and reenter full screen mode. The other is to hover the moveable pointer over the stationary pointer and click. Sometimes these recovery techniques have to be done several times before it works.

This problem is constantly interrupting my workflow.

Has anyone else seen this and come up with a solution? I have installed VMWare tools from VMWare and also the open VMWare tools package and neither has helped a bit.

Re: VMWare/Kubuntu Mousetrap Toolbar

Don't run the VM "full screen" - resize it so that just a small border of the host OS desktop can be seen. Should prevent this behavior from happening.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Don't run the VM "full screen" - resize it so that just a small border of the host OS desktop can be seen. Should prevent this behavior from happening.
      Thanks for the response

Yep, that would work but the screen resolution would have to be dropped to view the entire desktop without scrolling. Still, that's better than the alternative. Maybe I'm the only one who's seen this problem.

Comment

Depending on the resolution of your Windows desktop screen, you can set the VM screen one "size" smaller. My Kubuntu desktop is 1600x1200, my VM is 1280x1024. So the VM can be "full screen" but fits well within the host OS screen.

Comment

I like that! Hadn't thought of that. I'll have to take a look at how I've got mine set up. Might be time for some tweaking.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X