X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crackling sound from onboard speakers when muted

Hello!
    I recently reformatted my HDD and thought why not give Linux a try, so I installed Kubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope). Everything went fine, but now I've a problem: when I mute my sound, open a program for exemple, which plays sounds , or I open a music file, then there comes a cracking sound out of my onboard speakers of my laptop. When the sound is not muted, then the everything is normal. In Vista and XP (I have a triple-boot), the sound works fine as well. I have a Dell Inspiron 9400. I found some topics on the internet which are mentioning the same problem, however, they explain how to solve it, but in Ubuntu and not in Kubuntu, and as I'm still a complete Linux newbie, I can't manage to fix it. Can someone help me?

Already thanks in advance!
    Liopleurodon

(Sorry for my bad English, but I'm 15 years old and from Belgium.)

Re: Crackling sound from onboard speakers when muted

Hi,

This is weird. Could you please point us to the fixes you mentioned? We can try to make sense of them and see how they can be applied in Kubuntu.

Welcome to Kubuntu!

Comment

I had something similar to this and the solution was to, Right click volume control icon, click show mixer window, click the mixer icon, and turn pcm all the way up.

Comment

The solution BigCityCat mentioned, works, although I can't use the hardware buttons on my laptop to control the sound anymore; I have to open the mixer and use the master and life slide. The other fixes I found on the internet:
        To activate ALSA or to remove pulse-audio. The bug is also mentioned on this page: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/272321

Comment

Pulseaudio proved to be a disaster. However, because some non-kde applications use it by default, it ended up in Kubuntu.

If you look at the requests for help here, the top issue is sound (besides KPackageKit being broken), and PulseAudio related.

By the way, the KDE-4 sound architecture (including Phonon) is fantastic!

Comment

Working...
          X