This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authorization Dialog for Windows XP Share help

Fresh 9.04 install. Networking with XP works fine I can access Windows XP files without Authorization Dialog popping up. After playing with Kubuntu for awhile, I start to get the Authorization Dialog box asking for user name and password when I want to open an XP folder OR file.
    I've added a user and password to samba conf file but that didn't help. I searched the internet for Kubuntu bugs and found this bug #195450. Is this the problem?

Thanks for any help

Re: Authorization Dialog for Windows XP Share help

its not kubuntu at all it is xp that you would need to log in to ..

you can in system settings =>sharing set a default windows usr/pass so you don't get the prompt everytime . that is after you figure out your usr/pass (try guest/ no pass if you didn't set any thing special on xp.)
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks, I will try your solution and let you know

Comment

Access denied. I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong. My Ubuntu machine is connecting to XP. I'm not exactly a Linux beginner and this is REALLY frustrating!
        Some of the files ask for a user/pass while others don't. I managed to open a jpeg image while others ask for authorization. Same for videos

Comment

yea, if you don't have "simple" file sharing in xp that is only going to add to your fustration..., with my linux machines i now have nfs shares for my stuff, ... but you can make a user in you windows smb server to give you access to the items you want.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I'll keep searching. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X