This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless

It might seem like a stupid question to those who know but most things are simple after the fact. I've tried searching and everything is about how people can't get their wireless to work properly. I can't even find where you set it up. How do I get Kubuntu 9 to search for wireless networks?

Re: Wireless

I had the same beef (I think). If you rightclick on the knetworkmanager icon in system tray, there should be a tab for WIRELESS. If it is greyed out, then your wireless card is not recognized and you need all the troubleshooting stuff. I don't know about that, since once kubuntu was installed and updated, my card (in an EEEPC 900) was automagically recognized and configured.

I googled in www.google.com/linux for knetworkmanager (I think) and got http://en.opensuse.org/Projects/KNetworkManager .which has some info on how to use it.

Briefly, if you have knetworkmanager in the system tray, left click on it (or double click I don't remember) and a drop-down menu will highlight the available networks that you can access. Click those to get them to access, you have options to use kwallet at this time, and if you need to set up WEP or WPA password access, the proper tabbed windows will appear to get that set up (you'll only have to do this once if you set it up correctly the first time). Free hotspots should connect without any other intervention.

Hopefully this is helpful. Let us know if you need more info.

Comment

Re: Wireless

Issue one is whether your wireless card is supported by Linux, which generally is determined by whether your card maker supports Linux. Depending upon that extent your card will be:

1. Detected upon installation of the OS
      2. Detected when you install a backport module from the repository
      3. Detected when you install the Windows driver using a package called ndiswrapper (in the repositories).

Crucially we need to know what your card is. Open a terminal and type lspci (if its permanently installed) or lsusb (if it's a usb card). The type will then be revealed and you can either come back here for more help or google for "xxxx in Linux".

Once you have it detected you then need to get it to connect. I would always recommend a newcomer to install wicd (available again in the repositories). Once installed reboot and you will see an icon in the taskbar that will let you configure. I would avoid the standard network manager in 9.04 as it is not very good.

Oh yes - assuming no prior knowledge, before attempting to install anything you need to be hard-wire connected, open a terminal and type sudo apt-get update then hit enter and type your password. This will then update the package database and enable you to install wicd and/or the backport package if need be.

HTH

Ian

Comment

Working...
      X