This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File Shares in 9.04

I have 3 computers under Kubuntu v8.04 and all these computers have dual boots with WinXP, and I have no trouble sharing files back and forth, no matter if I'm in Windows or Kubuntu.

I just had Kubuntu v8.04 completely bomb (crash, clunk) on a 4th computer so completely, the system would no longer start (it'd just freeze with lines of text displaying across the screen), so I finally decided to install 9.04 (I've been resistant, I confess, after my Beta experience). Windows XP still works fine on this computer that had the 8.04 bomb, and all the disc partitions are OK, including the ext3 partition that had the bombed 8.04 Kubuntu.

After a full install of 9.04, which was after a format of the Ext3 partition I used for the previous 8.04 Linux, that's when my problems started (and I may go back to 8.04, as I know how to make things work in that version and the software too, works better); however, now that I have 9.04, I want to get it to work, BUT I simply can't get anything to share FROM the 9.04 computer TO any other system (neither to Windows or Linux).

The 9.04 system can read all the other computers, but no other computer can see anything the 9.04 has (of course, I could boot into Windows on the computer with the 9.04 system, and then all the other computers can get the files they need, but what a shame to depend on Windows because I can't figure out Kubuntu, PLUS I want to do this in Kubuntu 9.04 and I want to do it with the desktop interface too).

I've tried the right-clicking in Dolphin before I came to the forum and I also see here in the forum that others have tried it too, and it seems to do nothing after graying out the button for a few moments (nothing happens whatsoever after the gray out, no pop confirmation, no nothing!). I've gone to the System Settings->Sharing in 9.04, but there's nothing there like in 8.04 (no way to set up folders, etc.), so I assume the new way is the right-clicking method (except it doesn't seem to function). Plus, what's the purpose of System Settings->Sharing -- there's really nothing there except for a place for a name and password and nothing else on that big empty screen.

If this has been already covered, please do point the way to the solution, but understand I spent a great deal of time already searching and searching, and reading and reading and getting no solutions yet by using "file sharing 9.04" as my search criteria, otherwise I would not be starting this new topic.

I look forward to getting 9.04 working as well as 8.04 works (well, except for the one that bombed!).

Re: File Shares in 9.04

I don't know if this is the answer you're hoping for, but I've recently had a lot of success getting the various Linux and non-Linux computers in my house talking to one another using zeroconf file sharing. Once set up (which is easy), you can access other computers through Dolphin by simply typing zeroconf:/computername.local in the address bar. Having done this once, you can add the other computer to the sidebar for even quicker access in the future.

Instructions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToZeroconf

Comment

if you rite click a folder and click propertys then share and cnfigur file sharing it will tell you what you nead .

you nead SMB and or NFS installed............and Kpackagekit sucks so do yourself a favor and get synaptic.........open a terminall and do.

Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install synaptic
      now open synaptic and type smb in the serch bar you should have smbclyent allready (thats why you can see the other box's) and install samba.

NFS and zeroconf are allso usfull depending on what you nead............read up on them

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks for the feedback vinnywright. I finally got Samba and NFS installed through the new add/remove interface (and indeed it does suck! -- for example, when I searched for Firefox, I got 12 to 15 choices with no descriptions, which makes a reasonable decision nearly impossible for ordinary folks, but since I'm not an ordinary folk, I was able to make a reasonable decision -- BUT I thought Kubuntu was for ordinary people; well, not anymore it seems -- alas! It seems only for computer tech's). Back to the point, with Samba and NFS installed, I was finally able to get the 9.04 to show as a system resource in the network screen of the other three 8.04 and WinXP computers, but there is nothing within it when I open it on all those other computers (no folders are in the 9.04's share). That's actually no surprise since when I would click on a folder in 9.04 and activate the share tab, then click Configure, it'd gray out momentarily, then come back with no configuration screen or confirmation, suggesting to me that nothing would be the result (and it was). No matter what I try, the configure does nothing (thus, I should nothing to be shared -- but I don't know why there's no configuration screen since Samba and NFS are indeed installed in 9.04).

Too much down time. I've spent over 2 days and too many hours searching and searching these forums, reading and reading, and getting no functional return for my time investment. It is not my purpose to spend SO much time dealing with the operating system. I create web pages and run forums on the majority, and that's what I need my time to do, not fiddle with Kubuntu's shortcomings in 9.04 in terms of file sharing blocks, bugs or problems (I don't which is the right description -- it just doesn't work).

Someone else suggested I wait and see if Kubuntu 9.10 works, but in the meantime I'm formatting the 9.04 partition and reinstalling 8.04 (I'm so glad I did not erase the ISO's and will remembolembeer to always keep them). I know Kubuntu will abandon us at some point (just like Microsoft abandons its users too), but until then, I will hang on (I used Win98 for MANY years after XP came on the scene, then I finally switched to XP and got used to it, but saw little real improvement over what Win98 offered -- just a shell game of moving things around and calling it an improvement it seemed to me so we'd go out and send in our money to the Micro$oft empire). While I can't say the same negative things about Kubuntu, the desktop seems like the Microsoft shell game of moving things around with little functional outcome, and in that respect, Microsoft and Kubuntu are quite alike (neither seem to be listening to their users, which surprises me for Kubuntu, but not for the Microsoft empire).

I hope Kubuntu will resume its roots in relating to and with the people at some point and stop growing independent of them (or maybe it's the KDE I'm talking about here, since that's what I interface with the most and what I seem to dislike in 8.10 and 9.04 both is the desktop interface that I keeping thinking "Why did they do that?" -- I just can't find things anymore having spent SO much time in 8.04, and I really have little tolerance or need for such time wasters).

I don't think the desktop environment itself is making 9.04 not function in terms of file sharolembeing, though I think the new KDE does having something to do with how some of the so-called upgraded programs no longer seem to function right; such as Gimp, which no longer has any menus to create web headings with transparent backgrounds, something I use a lot, but the menus have all disappeared in Gimp in 9.04 to do these things that Gimp has always done, though everything else is there in other parts of Gimp, so who made the change: Gimp or KDE? I don't know...BUT, I just don't have time to worry about these details and I'm formatting and reinstalling 8.04 again right now, since I'm writing this on another one of my computers, and soon I should be able to become productive again on the computer that had the 8.04 bomb-out. My being productive is the only thing I need from an operating system. I'm not a hack who loves crawling under the hood of the operating system and fiddling with its internals; I'm a web designer and forum administrator and that's where I need to put my energies (and soon I will be back to work with what I do best).

olembe, thanks for your suggestion, but right now I'm returning to what worked before and still works on my other three systems and that's 8.04. I found the information about zeroconf file sharing interesting, but I would think Kubuntu would be able to take care of these details in a native manner, though I'm wrong about that it seems. I am bookmarking the reference you gave to me and will use it if I need in the future (as I said above, someday Kubuntu will abandon us and "make" us upgrade even if we don't want to, and maybe I'll need tools to help me as zeroconf file sharing has helped you).

Comment

I just wanted to report back that my reinstall of 8.04 has been fully successful, I'm now sharing freely with all my other computers, and I'm back into being productive.

I'm sorry I wasted SO much time with 9.04! I lost 2 days and lots of energy futilely trying to get it to work for me.

I know some of what I don't like about Kubuntu 9.04 is the KDE desktop as compared to the 8.04 KDE desktop (I didn't like it in 8.10, and it looks a lot like 9.04). Some of the programs I depend on changed with the KDE environment for some reason (I'd have thought it'd be the Kubuntu operating system that made the changes, but I'm not sure one way or the other) and, with these changes, I no longer have the tools I normally use in these program (and I certainly don't find that productive at all -- Gimp being one example of a program that seems degraded in function in 9.04 Kubuntu, as I said in a previous post).

9.04 shut me down, so I won't risk it again with any of my 4 computers that I use to program websites and administer forums (8.04 keeps me productive for these purposes). Maybe 9.10 will be better (it should be, as the philosophy of Ubuntu/Kubuntu suggests it's for the people, but I fear the Buntu's are becoming like Microsoft and getting away from the people by not listening to them and listening internally instead to their own voices in a feedback loop that leaves us out).

We'll see later (I have hope, but 9.04 was discouraging experience)...

Comment

Working...
          X