Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Is this tutorial completely correct and up to date with Jaunty?!?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Is this tutorial completely correct and up to date with Jaunty?!?

Here is the link to a tutorial on how to make your PC dual boot linux and winXP, with linux (ubuntu) installed first.

Since I still consider myself to be a complete noob on all things linux/kubuntu and I wouldn't want to run in a lot of trouble somewhere halfway the process, I would like to ask the savvy ones among you to check this article and please tell me if the given info is completely correct and still valid for Jaunty?!? Thanks very much!!

Somewhere in the replies, I read that SATA might cause some problems?!?

Re: Is this tutorial completely correct and up to date with Jaunty?!?

Yes.

If you need GRUB-specific info or fixing things:
    -- How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
      Yes.

If you need GRUB-specific info or fixing things:
      -- How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
      ...yes.. as in - yes, the tutorial is correct? Or - yes, there are issues with SATA....?!?

Comment

both.........yes the guide is fine and yes windows may have probs with SATA rad controlers......or may not....... if you use sutch things and have the fermware drivers windows will tell you when to load them.

if you just go ahead and follow the guide and windows dosent install right you can allways reclame the disk space for Kubuntu later.

be shure to read up on the GRUB stuff as windows WILL over rite it.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

OK, thanks to both of you! I will wait another few days - maybe there are some other members who have some more remarks to throw in - before closing the thread with [solved]... Thanks again.

Comment

You are referring to SATA hard drives, right? If so, I'm not aware of any SATA issues per se. (I've done XP and Kubuntu/Linux on two SATA drives, no issues.) Sometimes, if you have BOTH SATA drives and IDE drives, the Kubuntu installer may not guess the drives correctly and may install GRUB usually where you don't want it installed. But if you have all SATAs or all IDEs, there shouldn't be any problem. Even where there is a "problem," the link I gave you will help you fix things with GRUB after installing XP and Kubuntu (e.g., see the section on "re-installing GRUB"). In fact, that how-to I linked also addresses some issues with the dual boot.

To keep your job easy and straightforward:
            Install XP first, in the first partition of the first hard drive (usually called sda1 or (hd0,0))
            Then install Kubuntu anywhere you wish.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

No idea whether that was a SATA issue, but when I first installed a dual boot system (XP and Kubuntu), the MBR part of GRUB kept getting corrupted. The machine would boot perfectly a couple of times and then suddenly get into some kind of loop, immediately after being switched on. No way out but the power button and a subsequent GRUB reconstruction with Super Grub Disk. After a couple of those, I gave up and went back to Windows full time.
              Much later I discovered Grub4DOS (bit of a misnomer - works perfectly on Windows) which can be used without making changes to the MBR. No more problems since.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                You are referring to SATA hard drives, right? If so, I'm not aware of any SATA issues per se. (I've done XP and Kubuntu/Linux on two SATA drives, no issues.) Sometimes, if you have BOTH SATA drives and IDE drives, the Kubuntu installer may not guess the drives correctly and may install GRUB usually where you don't want it installed. But if you have all SATAs or all IDEs, there shouldn't be any problem. Even where there is a "problem," the link I gave you will help you fix things with GRUB after installing XP and Kubuntu (e.g., see the section on "re-installing GRUB"). In fact, that how-to I linked also addresses some issues with the dual boot.

To keep your job easy and straightforward:
                Install XP first, in the first partition of the first hard drive (usually called sda1 or (hd0,0))
                Then install Kubuntu anywhere you wish.
                OK, thanks. Problem is, I installed Kubuntu 6 months ago, and I don't want to lose my settings and data. So, that's why I chose these instructions - installing a dual boot system with Kubuntu already installed...

Comment

"Problem is, I installed Kubuntu 6 months ago, and I don't want to lose my settings and data. So, that's why I chose these instructions - installing a dual boot system with Kubuntu already installed..."

OK, that's fine. No problem at all then. Just follow the apcmag how to.
                  (Windows XP can easily be on a non-first partition. I'm not sure about the logistics with Vista or 7. It's only when Windows is on a non-first hard drive that you must make some adjustments (that's also in the how-to I linked).

Comment

Working...
                  X