This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change Wine default directory

Ok, So the default directory for win is ~/.wine/drive_c/. I have a separate partition on my HDD that I want to be my "Windows" directory(in the future I will add a dual boot of XP, but that's for a later date) and I was wondering how to change the working directory for wine from ~/.wine/drive_c to My other partition. How would I go about doing this?

Re: Change Wine default directory

Two ways to approach this:

One way is to move your .wine directory to wherever you want it, then make a symbolic link from your ~/.wine to wherever you put it. For example, let's say you move it to /media/games
    Then use the following command from your home directory:

Code:
    ln -s /media/games/.wine .wine
    Another way to do it is to move the .wine directory wherever you want, then specify a WINEPREFIX when you start a wine program, like this:

Code:
    env WINEPREFIX=/media/games/.wine wine program
    In both cases be sure you have the relevant read/write/execute permissions for wherever you are moving .wine to.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

How would I ensure that I had read/write/etc privileges?

Comment

If you can move your .wine directory to where you want it without using sudo, you're probably OK.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Ok, when I do that, The .wine directory that shows up in my home directory doesn't give me permissions for anything. Only root.

Comment

I'm not sure what you are doing. Did you make the symbolic link? If so, root should have nothing to do with it. If you are using the WINEPREFIX method, there should be no ~/.wine directory.

You should never run wine as root; it isn't designed for that, and it is guaranteed to mess up your .wine directory if you do.

Comment

Ya, id did exactly what you told me, and now it says "/home/zyle" is not owned by you. refusing to create configuration file" whenever i try to run wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymus
                Ya, id did exactly what you told me, and now it says "/home/zyle" is not owned by you. refusing to create configuration file" whenever i try to run wine.
                doctordruidphd gave you two different methods of doing this please say witch method you used.!!!
                and how you whent about it.

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I used the ln -s /media/C/.wine .wine from ~

Comment

I am assuming that your home directory is /home/zyle
                    is that correct?

There is a problem somewhere with file permissions.
                    Are you able to read and write files in your home directory?

Please try the following commands and post their results:
                    Code:
                    ls -ald ~/.wi*
                    ls -ald /media/C/.wi*

Comment

Working...
                    X