This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot loader...pls help me

Ok, i tried doing it with ubuntu. but then gave up. but once i saw how kubuntu is. i'm gonna try no matter what to get it to work correctly. the problem i'm having is i installed the bootloader in sda0 and sda1 and it still just loads into windows. what do i have to do? where's the MBR? i thought it was on sda0. here's how it shows in my partitioning window when i try installing kubuntu

/dev/sda
    /dev/sda1 - fat32 - recovery console
    /dev/sda2 - ntfs - windows xp

/dev/sdb
    /dev/sdb1 - ntfs - storage
    /dev/sdb5 - ext3 - /home
    /dev/sdb6 - ext3 - /
    /dev/sdb7 - swap

please help me with this installation. i don't wanna put the cd in everytime i wanna use kubuntu. where do i install the boot loader? and what else do i need to do? thanks.

Re: Boot loader...pls help me

Which version of Kubuntu are you installing?
    OK, I'm getting ready for bed. So if you are trying to install 9.04 or lower, follow these directions from the Ubuntu Community GrubHowto.
    1. Boot your computer up with Ubuntu CD
    2.Open a terminal window or switch to a tty.
    3.Go SuperUser (that is, type "sudo -s"). Enter root passwords as necessary.
    4. Type "grub"
    5. Type "find /boot/grub/stage1". You'll get a response like "(hd0,1)". Use whatever your computer spits out for the following lines.
    6. Type "root (hd0,1)", or whatever your hard disk + boot partition numbers are for Ubuntu.
    7. Type "setup (hd0)", to install GRUB to MBR, or "setup (hd0,1)" or whatever your hard disk + partition nr is, to install GRUB to a partition.
    8. Quit grub by typing "quit".
    9. Reboot and remove the bootable CD.

If you don't know what the terminal is.... in 9.04 hold down the "alt" key and press the F2 key. In the search box, start typing "terminal." and hit enter. A terminal will magically appear!

Comment

hey, thanks for the help. but i got it to work. this is what i was doing wrong. i was trying to install when the system started. and when kde loaded. i didn't continue the installation. i then just tried the installation from the live version. inside kde. and it installed everything. now i get grub when i start the system. i'm so happy i finally have linux. now i'm going to configure the desktop.

Comment

oh yeah, i need to get my audio working. i have a Emu 0404 sound card. don't think it has linux drivers. this one will be hard.

Comment

From what I've seen lately on your card, you need to add firmware that cannot be included in the distro. The best way to get alsa-firmware is through Mediubuntu.
          Follow these directions.
          Click on the "K" on the bottom left of your desktop.
          Go to "Applications" then "System" then "Software Management"
          Click on "Settings" then "edit software sources." Enter your password when prompted.
          Go to the "third party software" tab and click on Mediubuntu.
          Close. Then click on the "Software updates" and click on "refresh"
          Then click on the "software management tab" and enter alsa-firmware in the search box.
          Click on the "+" next to all the "alsa" packages. (a blue arrow will appear)
          Click on apply.
          Close and reboot.
          Should work at this time!

Comment

ok, it was going all good. and then an error occured. i clicked details and this came up.
            "The backend took too much time to process the synchronous request - you need to fork!"

Comment

don't worry about it. i'm going to bed now too. wow, it comes with so many programs to install. the lists are endless.
              thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
              X