X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having trouble with Wine

Hi all,

I've installed a piece of software using Wine. (It's a statistics program called G*Power, available here if anyone wants to see it.) It all seemed to install fine, but when I try to load it, it seems not to fully load.

The bouncing icon appears and the program appears in the task manager bar, but then after about 10 seconds of bouncing it just disappears from the task manager bar and that's it.

Should I just write this off as a piece of software that simply won't run under Wine, or is there anything I can try to tweak things?

Re: Having trouble with Wine

Are you dual-booting?

If so, you might try copying the DLLs from your windows system32 folder into the hidden home/.wine system32 folder. That may help.

Also from the wine config settings (started by either from the kmenu or by typing winecfg in a terminal) you might find that changing the windows version that wine pretends to be might just unlock something for you.

Both the above are worth a shot.

Comment

Sometimes the diagnostics visible when starting the program from a console can give some clues where the problem lies.
      Code:
      wine program.exe

Comment

I think you've cracked it.

ian@marmot:~$ wine .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/GPower\ 3.1/GPowerNT.exe
        wine: Call from 0x7b845450 to unimplemented function gdiplus.dll.GdipCreateFontFamilyFromName, aborting
        wine: Unimplemented function gdiplus.dll.GdipCreateFontFamilyFromName called at address 0x7b845450 (thread 0009), starting debugger... <snip lots of debugger stuff>
        Unfortunately my Windows Vista partition doesn't have gdiplus.dll in its System32 folder. Hmm... Looks like I'm stuck.

Comment

Google reveals

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl....shtml?gdiplus

Might be worth a shot - no guarantees mind!

Comment

I've found this script useful for installing required DLLs

http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

Comment

Working...
            X