X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Vostro 1500

Hey Everyone,

I am a nooB and just migrated to Kubuntu from Vista. I am having a few minor problems.

My config:
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz processor
    2 GB RAM
    Intel GM965 on-board graphics card

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to install drivers for
    1> Video card: Intel GM 965
    2>Audio Card: Sigmatel Stac 82XX C major HD audio
    3> Creative Integrated 2MP web-camera.

Can anyone please help me find the drivers and also give me instructions on how to install them.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you!!

Have a good weekend!

Re: Dell Vostro 1500

Hi

Drivers in Linux, for the most thing, are already installed in the system

If there is a non-opensource driver that you need, it will show in the Hardware Drivers KMenu entry, please check there

Why do you think you need those? Are these things not working for you ?

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for replying.

The Hardware Drivers KMenu entry asked me to download drivers for my Wireless card (which I did, and it's working!)

1>Is there a way in Kubuntu to check my devices? Like the Device Manager?

2>I do have audio. Speakers are working fine. However the inbuilt microphone doesn't seem to work.

3>Video card (I think!) is not working. I downloaded a couple of 3D games Open Arena and the Rubik's game, but there's this weird shading thing going on, the game window is all shaded and it keeps re-freshing. That made me think my graphic card is not working.

Can you please help me?

Thanks to everyone in advance!!

Comment

Hey, I am glad! One down

1- Not really, most stuff is in System Settings, like the Multimedia entry you can use to check for your sound card

2-Click on the speaker in the Panel (the bar at the bottom) and open the mixer, I am sure the mic is muted.

3- There is a regression for intel video in all ubuntu flavors 9.04. This will be fixed in 9.10 (Intel is doing wonderful work to support Linux, but at the time of 9.04 they introduced a bunch of regressions , i.e., new problems, as part of a large achitecture witch into something much better). If you can't wait, there is a popular thread here explaining how to fix it. Othwerwise, there is an update coming out hopefully soon that will make things better. You need to do a few things to get it though, if you can wait a couple weeks maybe that's the easiest. Just let us know.

Comment

Hi,

I installed OpenSuse on one of my partitions, and it detects all my hardware (graphics card,audio card, webcam everything!).

I was wondering since both are open source OS, is there a way i can borrow the drivers from OpenSuse on to Kubuntu??

I hope I am not asking for something un-ethical.

Also, is it okay for me to post installation notes (my personal experiences, little things I discovered while migrating to Linux) for other noobs like me?

Thanks .

Comment

Hi

Driver are integrated in the OS in a way it is not really easy to move them around, I would just stay in OpenSuse if it fits your needs

Sure, you can look for the right forum here and post it, it would be very valuable, thanks!

Comment

OK thanks.

Comment

Says here your Vostro 1500 works pretty well:

http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=62208200

I don't know if you have the same graphic chip -- you can run lspci and find out. If so, then you can use the proprietary nVidia driver and get excellent video performance. Probably the VESA driver is what is messing up your video.

Hint: for 99% of hardware-related questions, a search in Ubuntu Forums has a better chance of finding the answer, due to the far higher number of threads there. Ubuntu and Kubuntu use the same hardware drivers.

Comment

Working...
                X