This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats happened to add new software?

Hi im testing the live cd and went to the add new software thing, all i got was a load of things that made no sense, appear to be for programmers. Whats happened to the easy software selection thing of old? before you would look for stuff e.g. amsn, firefox, anything really the apps were named and you downloaded them, it was really simple the new way looks impossible.

Re: Whats happened to add new software?

They changed out the default package manager, Adept, for a new one called kpackagekit. I'm not completely sure it was ready for the switch, but it happened. It is usable, but it takes getting used to. I've found I prefer Synaptic, a different package manager, myself.

You can still install Adept, if you want it back, by either searching for and installing adept in kpackagekit, or by putting the following into a terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install adept

Comment

Originally posted by sxeptomaniac
      They changed out the default package manager, Adept, for a new one called kpackagekit. I'm not completely sure it was ready for the switch, but it happened. It is usable, but it takes getting used to. I've found I prefer Synaptic, a different package manager, myself.

You can still install Adept, if you want it back, by either searching for and installing adept in kpackagekit, or by putting the following into a terminal
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install adept
      Thats good news, I have to say im quite surprised that the Kubuntu folks would add such a confusing downloads system, for the average computer user the system is confusing and unusable, for a community driven to bring linux to average computer users its quite a contradiction, especially in the face of the sleek simple interface KDE has produced.

Comment

The main problem I currently have with kpackagekit is that the search engine seems to default to OR connections when using multiple words, rather than AND operators. So, the more words I add to a search, the larger the results get, rather than smaller. I consider that a very poor choice, as it makes the search function nearly useless if you don't know the package by name. It also lacks the ability to search by name and description at the same time, which I also used frequently in the past.

Comment

Just get Adept by plugging 'Adept' into KPackageKit and installing it.

Alternatively, I've found that the menu bar on the right of KPackageKit offers some degree of application-sorting that is useful! (Click on 'All Packages' and scroll down to select the specific category you're interested in...)

Comment

Working...
          X