X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please advice. Need to know if I can install

Hi,
    I am new to Kubuntu. I downloaded Live CD and installed on my desktop. It is working fine, and I am happy. I have one more pc (Gateway Tablet PC M1200). I would love to install Kubuntu on that. I initiated install by making a 20 GB partition on the hard disk. I did not succeed. Software failed to recognize Intel Graphic chip. I have started download of 386-DVD package, assuming that it will have more drivers and I will be able to install. I am anxious to know if I can run Kubuntu on a pc with configurations mentioned below, I will be thankful for any feedback and advice.

Intel 866 Mhz. CPU
    Intel 82830M graphics chip
    512 MB RAM
    40 GB HDD.
    1394/Realteck R7L8x network adopter

I do not need the pen drivers, modem. Will be happy if Broadcam Wireless works.
    I am using this PC only for Internet browsing and email.

Thanks for any feedback,
    SMMath

Re: Please advice. Need to know if I can install

1) I think that you are going to have some difficulty installing on a Tablet PC. It doesn't look impossible, but it looks difficult.

The Gateway M1200 was also badged as the Motion M1200.

Look at "LE1700 touchscreen in Linux - help please" on http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/showthread.php?t=36542 ... it leads to "Ubuntu 8.10 X61t Tablet Setup (With Touch)" on http://blog.aliencam.net/2008/10/ubu...-tablet-setup/

You looks like you will have to edit xorg.

2) The Broadcom Wireless is also a bit of a problem and it is unlikely, by downloading extra drivers,that it will work out-of-the-box. There are quite a few, different Broadcom Wireless chips and you will have to find out which one we are dealing with...
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Re: Please advice. Need to know if I can install

Thanks for the guidance. You are right, it is Motion Gateway 1200.
      I expected some digging and learning to get the installation right. On Intel site, drivers for display chip-set is available. Hope it will be part of installation DVD. Live does not seem to support it.

I will go through the threads you have mentioned.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
      X