X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 9'04(64bit) fresh install on new HP dv3-2155mx laptop

Intel Core2 Duo Processor T6500 = OOB
    800MHz system bus, 2MB L2 cache and 2.1GHz processor speed per core.
    4GB DDR2 memory = OOB
    Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW (DVD+R DL) supports LightScribe direct-disc labels = ?(Does *NIX support LightScribe?)
    500GB SATA hard drive (5400 rpm) = OOB
    Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD up to 1759MB total available graphics memory = ?(Not sure if I'm getting everything out of this puppy, is there a test that I could run?)
    Altec Lansing speakers with SRS Premium Sound = FAIL NO SOUND(And yes I did make sure my username is in Group Audio)
    Touch media controls and HP Mobile remote = TMC above the keyboard is working, HP remote haven't tried yet.
    13.3" high-definition(1366 x 768) widescreen display = OOB(X came up without a hitch or hiccup, looks great, I just want to be sure that I have the maximum res)
    Built-in webcam = ?(How do I check/test this?)
    5-in-1 media reader = ?(Didn't try it yet)
    Supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD Picture Card formats.
    2 high-speed USB 2.0 ports = OOB
    Built-in wireless LAN (802.11b/g) = Working since I installed Jaunty backports.
    Built-in 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN = OOB
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition operating system with Service Pack 1= Banished, sent into exile.
    That's what I got so far.
    Here is what I want to do.
    I am going to to be traveling a lot.
    This has to be my everything machine.
    Business and pleasure.
    Here in no particular order is my check list:
    Secure as possible(I know this will never be 100%)
    Anti-Virus(which one?)
    Anti-Spyware(?)
    Is there a way to trick the Black Hats who happen to be WiFi sniffing, phishing, war-driving or whatever into thinking that this device is nothing more then a Nintendo DSi? Hmmm.
    DVD player(?)
    MP3 player(Can I get/use Itunes?)
    Web call/conference with/without video
    Bank online
    Credit Card transactions
    Docs, spreadsheet and presentation(OO.o)
    I noticed the Xen hyper visor.
    Is it possible to...
    1. Install a stripped down *NIX dom0 just to install/run Xen.
    2. Set up a honey pot leading to a domU(Windows) full of dummy files
    3. Second domU(Kubuntu) private all ports closed
    4. third domU (Kubuntu) for everyday, like happy go lucky )till something goes horrifically wrong)Windows users.

So tell me what you think.
    Is my Xen idea doable or am I reading too much Tom Clancy.
    Any advice/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Re: Kubuntu 9'04(64bit) fresh install on new HP dv3-2155mx laptop

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD up to 1759MB total available graphics memory = ?(Not sure if I'm getting everything out of this puppy, is there a test that I could run?)
    Load Stellarium. It should give you about 30 fps or more. The more the better. Tux Racer should give you 15 fps or more. Don't waste your time with glxdemo.

If you suspect the FPS are too low you can consult the thread about the topic: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

Altec Lansing speakers with SRS Premium Sound = FAIL NO SOUND(And yes I did make sure my username is in Group Audio)
    What is your sound chip? Issue
    lspci | grep Audio
    in a Konsole to find out. Post it here.

Built-in webcam = ?(How do I check/test this?)
    If it is a UVC compatible webcamera almost any camera application will run it. I use Skype. You can install Skype and go the the options menu and set your webcamera. Then click the test button. Set your sound while you are in the options menu and test it too.

Anti-Virus(which one?)
    Anti-Spyware(?)
    Don't work about it. Linux generally isn't susceptible to viruses or spy ware. I've been using Linux for 11 years and have yet to see anything get into my systems. Most "attacks" on Linux are via social engineering. If someone tries to talk you into saving an attachment, adding execute to its permissions and then executing it, you'd be a sucker to do so. It takes those three steps to infect your home account. But, never accept someone else's *.desktop file from any source.

The only reason most Penguins run anti-virus is as a courtesy for their Windows using friends. While any windows virus that may be a payload on any email you receive won't hurt your system, if you forward it on it could hurt your friend's windows box.

Is there a way to trick the Black Hats who happen to be WiFi sniffing, phishing, war-driving or whatever into thinking that this device is nothing more then a Nintendo DSi? Hmmm.
    Don't know. BUt if you use WPA as your wireless protocol you won't have any problems. Remote root access is not enabled and the root password is only known by God, and He won't tell anyone. Just keep your home account password something other than your wife's name, your birthdate, etc... The first user added on Kubuntu, during the install, is considered the Admin user, and the password for that person's home account is the admin password. If any black hat can crack your home account they would probably be able to crack into root, too. But those kinds of hats are not common. Most blackhats are professional thieves. You are small potatoes.

DVD player(?)
    MP3 player(Can I get/use Itunes?)
    Web call/conference with/without video
    Bank online
    Credit Card transactions
    Docs, spreadsheet and presentation(OO.o)
    DVD player. There are several in the repository. My favorite is to go to Medibuntu.org, and add their repository to Synaptic, which is my favorite apps manager. It's in the repository to. Then follow the instructions on Medibuntu for installing several multimedia apps. My favorite is VLC. It plays about everything. So does mplayer and xine.

MP3? After doing the Medibuntu thing you'll be able to play most codecs with free codec players.
    Itunes? Don't know. You can try Rhythmbox. It is in the repository. Someone else will have to help you with that.

Web call/conferences: Skype is my number one choice. LOT's of users. I have also put every number in my cellphone into Skype. Skype also allows you to call folks on the land line, even if they don't have a computer. That feature will cost you 2 cents per minute, though. That's cheep, and I find the feature very useful.

Bank Online? CC transactions: FireFox 3.0, set so that it clears private data when it closes. I close FF before I open it on my bank web page and close it after I finish banking. Then I start it up again if I want to browse some more.

WP functions? OpenOffice, of course! Most users are not aware of OOo's power database handling capabilities. You can create sql connections to PostgreSQL, Oracle and other dbs and use OOo's forms functions to create data aware forms for adding, editing and deleting records in databases. As easy to use as Acess. Looks and works similar to it as well.

Xen? Why? What's wrong with VirtualBox 3.0 of VMPlayer? They are a whole LOT EASIER to install, and you don't have to partition your HD into so many block. With them your kernel is modified by dksm headers only, and you can create as many virtual guests as you have hd space for. Want to surf in totally security? Set up a sacrificial guest OS, XP or Linux, take a snapshot. Surf. Restore the snapshot. But, IMO, even that amount of paranoia is not necessary. Linux is NOT Windows. The paranoia you had to have to run windows and not get pwned is not needed with Linux. Just use a good password, and change it frequently. Don't write it down. Put a password on your bios so that you have to enter it in order to boot up the machine before the kernel starts.

Remember, this is Linux. Security WAS designed IN from the beginning. Don't change permissions on any files except those in your home directory... the ones YOU add. You can make them any permission level you want.

For vpn there is desktop sharing under the system menu.

I am currently running Kubuntu 9.04 with KDE4.2.4 and the 2.6.30 kernel. It is the best desktop I have EVER used. Period.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you GreyGeek.
      Very informative.
      I'll post my progress.

Cheers.

Comment

lspci | grep Audio
        Returned this "Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)"
        Am I going to have to go through all of this again when "Karmic" is released?

Comment

Hello krlrvr,

I see that the graygeek answered most of your questions so I don't have to add to that
          Except for may amarok for audio player. I am not sure it runs itunes from your ipod.
          http://thedarkmaster.wordpress.com/2...ps-and-tricks/

and
          http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/07/04...pod-in-ubuntu/

I just have a question:
          I am thinking of buying a similar machine dv3-2030ez and was wondering if your installation went without major hitches.
          From your post I take it that it went well. Just wanted to make sure.

How is the graphics card working? Is it a shared card?

Does wifi with network-manager work stably?

My first real laptop

As for your sound issue maybe this will help:
          http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1036508

or
          http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1153030

I don't know what you mean by
          .....all of this
          but karmic should have most issues with jaunty ironed out. It runs nicely in alpha on this machine.

Linux is about choice, so try out different apps and decide which ones work best for you.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hello Fintan,

As for the first part of question 1 "How is the graphics card working?"
            Works great from the start, I got low to mid fifties on Stellarium and low to mid forties on Extreme Tux Racer.
            FPS that is.
            Second part "Is it a shared card?"
            How can I tell? What command do I use?

"Does wifi with network-manager work stably?"
            Once I "sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-jaunty" it worked like a charm.
            I Google everything when I grow impatient.
            And what I meant by "all of this", is that once that I have everything setup and running the way I want.
            When Karmic gets stable enough to upgrade to, is it going to be the same process all over again?
            CD/DVD install - configure - locate drivers - configure - etc,etc,etc.
            I heard/thought that once you have everything just right, all one would have to do is upgrade everything over the net through the terminal.
            Am i wrong about this?
            Either way, I like Linux and I think you guys are great.
            I'm happy that I chose Kubuntu.

Cheers.

Comment

Okay great, nothing out of the ordinary.
              Welcome to the party

Google gives this for your video card:
              http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-G...HD.9883.0.html

and
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA

so it is shared

Shared cards can hog a lot of RAM, thus slowing things down (CPU, etc)

I don't know how to allocate memory to shared cards from within linux.
              You can do that from the bios (if it permits you).

Hmmm.... I'll have to dig into that.

As for upgrading.

In the past I have only don't fresh installs, but with the better upgrade routines I might try it here with jaunty to karmic.

Just be sure to disable all third party repos and probably multivers / backport repos as well before upgrading.
              You can then re-enable them after a successful upgrade.

If you go for a fresh install use the aptoncd to backup your installed apps. (well the list thereof) so you can easily reinstall them after a fresh install.
              http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks Fintan.

Comment

Originally posted by krlrvr
                  lspci | grep Audio
                  Returned this "Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)"
                  Am I going to have to go through all of this again when "Karmic" is released?
                  My notebook has the exact same audio chip (and version). It was recognized automatically when I first booted the LiveCD, after I installed Jaunty, and every since.

On the Systemsettings dialog, clicking on the Multimedia icon, my installation shows, for various outputs, the top device to be:
                  HDA Intel (ACL262 Analog)
                  then
                  HDA Intel, INTEL HDMI (HDMI Audio Output)
                  Esound (ESD)
                  PulseAudio
                  HDA Intel (INTEL HDMI)

The Audio Capture, under "Communications" shows
                  HDA Intel (ALC262 Analog)

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Pardon my ignorance GreyGeek.
                    On the Systemsettings dialog, clicking on the Multimedia icon, my installation shows:

HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog) = faded grey/unselectable.
                    HDA Intel, Intel HDMI (HDMS Audio Output) = faded grey/unselectable.
                    PulseAudio

What do I do now?

Comment

Here is a troubleshooting page for HP dvx PCs.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...20dvx%20laptop

Start about half way down, with Manual Configuration, at the point where it says:

You can also do this as two separate steps:

sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils

and then

sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils

but this may result in some other packages which depend on the sound-base and alsa-utils from being removed, such as gdm and ubuntu-desktop. If this happens, then do

sudo apt-get install gdm ubuntu-desktop

THis will reinstall your default sound drivers.

Here is a URL to a possible simple fix: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=331172

n case any of you were wondering, a fix was found for the sound problems with DV7 notebooks when running ubuntu.

1) Open the Terminal.
                      2) In the terminal: type sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
                      3) This will open that file In gedit:
                      Scroll to the bottom of the file and add the new line:
                      options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1
                      4) Save the file and close gedit (you can now also stop the terminal).
                      5) Reboot the computer.

After rebooting, the sound should work properly.

Also, I thought it may help if I shared the settings I'm using for the audio on my HP. (The settings mentioned below shouldn't be modified before trying the fix above).

In System | Preferences | Sound:

Sound Events - Sound Playback: Autodetect

Music and Movies - Sound Playback: Autodetect

Audio Conferencing - Sound Playback: Autodetect

Sound Capture: HDA Intel STAC92xx Analog (ALSA)

Default Mixer Tracks - Device: HDA Intel (Alsa Mixer).
                      (Select "Front" as the track to control with the keyboard).

After setting this, right-click on the speaker icon (usually at the top-left of the screen), and select "Open Volume Control". Click the Preferences button and Check ALL of the choices given to you. Click CLOSE, and now in the volume control, you should see a new tab that says switches. Go to that tab. Check "IEC958 Default PCM", and leave the other 3 options UNCHECKED. Using the Default PCM switch instad of the regular ICH958 seems to be the trick to getting audio working correctly.

After doing this, go back to the playback tab. Set the PCM volume to at least 50% (you may want to go higher). Set the master volume to 100&, and the Front to 50%. You should now be able to hear sound properly. you can test this with the sound effects in system | preferences | sound. The volume buttons on your keyboard will adjust the audio for the front speakers, which seems to work better than using the Master, at least in my case. You can try using Master or PCM instead if you want.
                      Last edited by ericmc783 : 12-14-2008 at 02:42 PM.
                      Let us know what happens.

Comment

Thank you GreyGeek.
                        I'll post right after.

Comment

Okay, now I got a pop-up entitled "Removed Sound Devices"
                          KDE detected that one or more internal sound devices were removed.
                          Do you want KDE to permanently forget about these devices?
                          This is the list of devices KDE thinks can be removed:
                          Capture: HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog)
                          Output: HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog)
                          Output: HDA Intel, INTEL HDMI (HDMI Audio Output)

Yes No Manage Devices

My friend running Vista is laughing at me.

Comment

[quote=krlrvr ]
                            Okay, now I got a pop-up entitled "Removed Sound Devices"
                            KDE detected that one or more internal sound devices were removed.
                            Do you want KDE to permanently forget about these devices?
                            This is the list of devices KDE thinks can be removed:
                            Capture: HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog)
                            Output: HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog)
                            Output: HDA Intel, INTEL HDMI (HDMI Audio Output)

Yes No Manage Devices

[/quote
                            If you did: sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils then the answer is yes.

Follow it up with: sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils

which will reinstall your sound drivers. Then do:

1) Open the Terminal.
                            2) In the terminal: type kdesudo kate /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
                            3) This will open that file In kate:
                            Scroll to the bottom of the file and add the new line:
                            options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1
                            4) Save the file and close kate (you can now also stop the terminal).
                            5) Reboot the computer.

After rebooting, the sound should work properly, hopefully. Let us know what happens.

My friend running Vista is laughing at me.
                            He'll stop laughing WHEN (not IF) his VISTA box gets owned and becomes part of a bot farm. He'd better hope he doesn't do any online chopping or banking, or that his box doesn't contain his SSN, CC#s, or other personal and important records. BTW, his first clue that it has happened is when his Internet connection seems to be running slower than usual, or runs in fits of fast then slow then fast. IF he could run EtherApe or NMAP he would see lots of packets flowing out of his computer to IP addresses he did not connect to.

Comment

He claims his V-box hangs(freezes) sometimes.
                              This makes me happy.
                              I'll get back to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X