This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have problems with ATI drivers?

I have an ATI HD4670 video card. At first I let Kubuntu enable the proprietary drivers. After having to reinstall the OS 3 times I finally pinpointed these drivers as being the problem.

So this time around I've attempted to install the Linux x86 ATI HD4670 driver from AMDs website. Following the automatic install directions I get an error message after installation.

Error message: "There were errors during installation." ...ha

Here are the last few lines of the log file:

build succeeded with return value 0
    duplicating results into driver repository...
    done.
    You must change your working directory to /lib/modules/fglrx
    and then call ./make_install.sh in order to install the built module.
    - recreating module dependency list
    - trying a sample load of the kernel modules
    failed.
    [Error] Kernel Module : Failed to install compiled kernel module - please consult readme.

Has anyone had this problem?
    Any ideas for a fix?

Thank you.

Re: Anyone have problems with ATI drivers?

Specifics:

KDE version: 4.2.2
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD4670
    Driver attempt: ATI Proprietary Linux Driver 8.62
    Operating system: Debian GNU linux
    x86 machine with glibc-2.1

Comment

I do not have ATI driver, but I came across this page, maybe it can help.
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ti/+bug/363238
      Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

ok this is what i did, first you install catalyst from the repositories then... reboot on recovery and go to root.. then use the next code

Code:
        sudo rm /etc/ati/amdpcsdb
        sudo aticonfig --initial -f
        that worked for me!
        I may not agree on what you are saying, but i would give my life to defend the right you have to say it...

Comment

What catalyst from the repo did you install?

Do you mean System->Hardware Drivers?
          The ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver?

I'm hesitant to install that again, because it would pretty much lock me out after logging in. Did you have that problem before the fix?

Comment

Ok so I tried your advice after re-enabling the ati driver.

Within the terminal, i removed that file. However, after running 'sudo aticonfig --initial -f' I got: 'Unable to open /etc/ati/control please reinstall the driver. aticonfig: No supported adapters detected.'

And then the exact same thing happen as when I tried this before. When I try to boot up (normal mode), the screen freezes before the logon. Usually with a small repeated, pixelated, dell icon across the top of the screen. The only way I have been able to fix this is to swipe & reinstall kubuntu. I really dont want to do that this time...

So does anyone know how I would be able to uninstall the driver that I enabled?

There is some text that is displayed on boot-up before the freeze. I'll try to get pics uploaded tomorrow.

Comment

Yes, this is a common issue in Jaunty. But it can be fixed. I did in my machine. And helped others, see here:
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3105188.0

Comment

Just gave it a try. Most of the commands come back with the "no supported adapters detected." And unfortunately, I deleted the driver packages before my last logout.

So I'm going to reinstall one last time & try your advice. This will be my 5th time to do this...

Comment

Alright. I'm going to get it right this time.

So the drivers you guys were talking about in the other thread, were those the proprietary drivers that the system automatically detects within system->hardware drivers? Or did you guys download the drivers from ATIs website?

Comment

Ok. Following your directions from the other thread (linked above), I have done steps 0 - 4.

Looking through the installation guide by AMD, there are a few dependencies:

XFree86-Mesa-libGL
                    libstdc++
                    libgcc
                    Xfree86-libs
                    fontconfig
                    freetype
                    zlib

Do any of these come built into Kubuntu (jaunty) ??
                    How do I get them?

Comment

Code:
                      sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++5 dkms
                      I took this from a howto - apparently thats all you need, worked for me and others

There is a Catalyst new release, 9-7

Good luck!

Comment

I almost there. I can feel it

So I rebooted after a successful install & it worked fine. Ok, now i need to configure my monitors. This is what I want:

Primary Monitor: 1920x1080
                        Secondary Monitor: 1280x1024

Left to Right respectively.

Now I'm assuming that I should do something like
                        aticonfig --xinerama=on
                        aticonfig --initial=dual-head --dtop=horizontal

Is this right or am I horribly wrong & about to screw everything up?

Comment

Excellent! I think you can configure this from the ati control panel, just run

sudo amdcccle

Hopefully you can configure it from there. I don't have a dual monitor setting here, so I can't test ...

Comment

Interesting...when I run dpkg --get-selections |grep -i fglrx it only comes up with
                            "fglrx-modaliases install"

However, sudo amdcccle brings up the ati control center...oh well

I'm enabling xinerama & setting to dual. We'll see how this goes

Comment

Doesn't look good, are you sure you installed all these .debs created by the installer? Here is what I see

Code:
                              lmilano@grisell:~$ dpkg -l |grep fglrx
                              ii fglrx-amdcccle               2:8.632-0ubuntu1             Catalyst Control Center for the ATI graphics accele
                              ii fglrx-kernel-source            2:8.632-0ubuntu1             Kernel module source for the ATI graphics accelerat
                              ii fglrx-modaliases              2:8.632-0ubuntu1             Identifiers supported by the ATI graphics driver
                              ii xorg-driver-fglrx             2:8.632-0ubuntu1             Video driver for the ATI graphics accelerators
                              ii xorg-driver-fglrx-dev           2:8.632-0ubuntu1             Video driver for the ATI graphics accelerators (dev

Comment

Working...
                              X