This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

failure to shutdown countdown popup box doesn't appear SOLVED

When i try to shutdown the computer by clicking on the leave button the coutdown box doesn't popup and the computer carries on and won't shutdown. This maybe as a result of installing scim to give japanese support. Any ideas as to what to check?

Re: failure to shutdown countdown popup box doesn't appear

Wow, weird. I would try adding the widget for quick logout and see if it helps (nothing better comes to mind, sorry, maybe someone else has a better idea).

Comment

Try kshutdown - it should be in the repositories. It will reside in your taskbar. I've noticed a distinct slowdown shutting down via plasma widget as we move towards KDE 4.3.

Not got kshutdown installed myself, but I will give it a whirl when I get home.

Comment

Yeah, I had something like that with intrepid.

It is buried somewhere in my posts.

What version of kubuntu are you using?
        can you give us some specs on your machine (cpu, video card, ram, etc)

I'll have to find it but am gone for the WE.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

My own experience (now I've tried it) is that kshutdown doesn't make much difference (KDE 4.3 RC)

Comment

Further information. Machine is Dell Inspiron 6400 running kubuntu 9.04. If i remove scim from the Autostart desktop menu (system settings advanced autostart) and run scim from Konsole after the desktop has fired up then shutdown works normally as does japanese input with scim. There is only 1 other item in the autostart script menu gtk2-engines-qtcurve.rc.sh

Comment

maybe, as a workaround, you can add a script to kill scim at shutdown. Just call it kill-scim.sh, with contents

Code:
              #!/bin/bash

killall scim
              I think thius will work. You can add the script in the Autostart window. Make sure you make it executable first (chmod +x kill-scim.sh in Konsole). Hth!

Comment

I believe the problem is connected to the startup sequence. I can get around the problem (see reply 5)

Comment

If you do what I suggest you won't need to start it manually. Anyway, if you prefer that it's your cjhoice Just please mark this as [SOLVED] by editing the first post's title

Comment

Working...
                  X