Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Kubuntu Firewall and antivirus.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Kubuntu Firewall and antivirus.

Hello forum users, I am a new user of Kubuntu and Linux and I am looking for a firewall and antivirus to protect my system while i am connected to the internet. I am connected using a DSL modem, the infamous Sagem F@st 800, which does not have a buit-in fiewall.

I have already downloaded 3 packages - Gufw, Firestarter and Kmyfirewall. I am actually using Gufw right now but I have no idea how it works. I am actually used to ZoneAlarm and Sygate on windowsXP which automatically configures your browser and IM to connect to the net and warns you in case of attacks. I have no idea of how to do this on Gufw. Could someone help me on this issue.

Many thanks.

Cheers
    Iconz255

Re: Kubuntu Firewall and antivirus.

at this time thare are no viruses that can execute thar self in linux........but thar are antivirus programs for linux that check files like email atchments so thay dont get spred to windows boxes on your network or email'd to some one elce.

you can find info on your firewall programs with man.........open a console and type...say

Code:
    man Firestarter
    to get a man page for Firestarter !

or whatever elce you have instaled.

sorey I cant be of more help but I dont use eney of these things ......my router is a firwall and antivius is redundent.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Most Linux distributions are strongly resistant to malware, so the usual advice is to go without anit-virus software. In fact, there are viruses and other malware threats targeted to Linux. There has been at least one known instance of a Linux-specific virus spreading in the wild.

Originally posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware
      The number of malicious programs—including viruses, Trojans, and other threats—specifically written for Linux has been on the increase in recent years and more than doubled during 2005 from 422 to 863.
      The numbers quoted above probably aren't very accurate because the very nature of the Linux community makes it difficult to gather authoritative statistics. You should certainly read the article in its entirety to become better informed. In comparison to Windows, the amount of malicious software specifically targeting Linux is very, very small. To prove this to yourself, try searching the web to find specific reports of Linux users becoming infected.

It is very difficult, but perhaps not impossible, for a malicious program in a Linux environment to artificially elevate its own privileges without user intervention. If you encounter malicious software on your Linux computer while logged into a user account, the damage which can be caused is limited to your user account. That means any data in your home folder could be vulnerable to erasure, encryption, and theft.

If you are logged in as root, there is no limit to the damage caused on the local computer. This is one reason it is not a good idea to enable root login on a *buntu system, but there are other reasons.

I have ClamAV installed on my Kubuntu computer, but mostly just to scan Windows files. I dual boot with Windows XP and share the network with a Windows Vista computer. Even though Kubuntu is unlikely to ever be infected, I still have to protect the Windows systems I interact with.

I'm behind a router with UPnP disabled, so no service is accessible from the Internet unless I open ports manually on the router. It's a good idea to install a firewall if you don't have a router or firewall on your gateway. All versions of Windows from XP Service Pack 2 onwards come with a minimal firewall, and I keep it enabled.

I keep the system software of all computers on my network up to date. That protects me from known exploits and vulnerabilities. This is even more important on Windows computers because their patches are retro-active, meaning the vulnerability frequently is not patched until after it is known an probably exploited. Linux systems' vulnerabilities are usually patched preemptively.

I use the NoScript extension on Firefox and Seamonkey web browsers to block all Javascript, Flash, and Java on the web. Only the domains I choose to white-list are allowed to run scripts. That protects me from any malicious script on the web.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully this gives you some things to think about concerning security on Kubuntu. You'll have to do your own research and reach your own conclusions of course.

Edit: Here is a list of articles to begin your research.

Welcome newbies!
      Verify the ISO
      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

A very nice read Telengard

and I still feel all fuzzy and secure

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

More links

Iptables

> Iptables wiki

K/X/Ubuntu documentation

> HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help

The Ubuntu Documentation has lot of docs of the iptables (a bit Gnome centric), this is a good place to start > IptablesHowTo
          Basic iptables howto

Iptables is a firewall, installed by default on all official Ubuntu distributions (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu). When you install Ubuntu, iptables is there, but it allows all traffic by default. Ubuntu 8.04 Comes with ufw - program for managing a netfilter firewall...
          those "Gufw, Firestarter and Kmyfirewall " are front-ends:
          Easy configuration via GUI

A new user can use Firestarter (a gui), available in repositories (Synaptic or apt-get) to configure her/his iptable rules, without needing the command line knowledge. Please see the tutorial though... Configuration is easy, but may not be enough for the advanced user. However, it should be enough for the most home users...
          and more links can be found from the "Further Information" section of the IptablesHowTo.
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks all, Telengrad, Vinny and Rog131 for the input. I have managed to do some reading, research, do the long and trusted "trial and error" methhod but now I can say that I have managed to get confident using a firewall under kubuntu. I am using Firestarter - although it is not actively developed since 2005 but the software as it is just works and thats enough for me. I have configured it and tested it online uing the following site test on Gibson Security:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

My actual firewall settings gave me "positive and protected" results.

If someone wants more info on the settings used for the firewall, just ask

Thanks everyone

Cheers

Iconz255

Comment

Working...
            X