This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba Shared Folders - User/PW Problem

I've installed 9.04 a few months back and worked through most issues, but now I'm having trouble setting up a shared network folder. The folder is to be accessed by a windows box on the same network. I've added the following to the smb.conf file:

[DirectScans]
    comment = Scans from HP Printer
    path = /home/john/DirectScans

The folder shows up on the win box and also via Dolphin when browsing the network. However the problem is once I try to access the folder it asks for a username and password and I can't get any combination to work. So I can't access the folder. I tried my main account and root. I also tried the combo setup under System Setting>Sharing with no luck. Any suggestions? Ideally I'd like to restrict it to only a single user account and pw with read/write access. But for now thought I was just opening it up for anybody to get it working then was going to tighten it up. Thanks,

John.........

Re: Samba Shared Folders - User/PW Problem

This is probably only semi-helpful:
    [Epson_84]

printing = cups
    path = /var/tmp
    printable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    guest only = yes
    That sets up my printer to be accessible to Windows users on my network. I'm not sure about your path statement, but you might want the last two lines from this.

Comment

Thanks, but I want to clarify. I'm not setting up a printer. The HP printer I have is networked and is working with everyone on the network. But it also has a auto scan function where it will scan a doc, convert it to pdf and then put it out to a shared folder. But all that aside, first step is just to setup the shared folder. Thanks for the suggestion though,

John........

Comment

Hi dible, am writing from a great brazilian terrace in switzerland. summer finnaly

anyway, caco, welcome to the party I had the same issues. I will send you a easy smb.conf that should sort out your sharing stuff. as long as you on a private network it should work fine. It has for me for over 2 years

I hope you have a bit o patience.

Until then enjoy

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
          Hi dible, am writing from a great brazilian terrace in switzerland. summer finnaly
          Greetz, Fintan! For once, it is probably as nice in Ohio as it is in Switzerland, but if I go out and sit on my patio/terrace, I would get rained on at this moment.

caco, did you install the drivers for the scanner/printer on the Windows machines? I think you might need to do that to get them to use it correctly.

For the folder, here is my working shared data folder, in case it helps:

[Data]
          path = /home/dibl
          read only = no
          guest ok = yes
          case sensitive = no
          strict locking = no
          force user = dibl

Comment

Yeah, greets to ohio

here the promised smb.config:

workgroup = FINTANHOME
            interfaces = eth0
            map to guest = bad user

[Data]

path = /Data
            read only = no
            guest ok = yes
            case sensitive = no
            strict locking = no
            force user = fintan2

[HP1600]

printing = cups
            path = /var/tmp
            printable = yes
            guest ok = yes
            guest only = yes
            obviously you will have to change it to your needs (and install samba)
            sorry don't want to be

But it happens
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thank you!! It worked like a charm

Comment

Working...
              X