This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting HP Officejet Pro 8000 working

So I recently got a HP Officejet Pro 8000 that can be networked, but it wasnt listed as a choice in the printer setup under system settings. A quick web search produced http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1127687.

So I went to http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/d...ge/h/hp/hplip/ and downloaded hplip-3.9.6b.run to the desktop.

Then I typed the following:

cd /home/(username)/Desktop (you have to type in your own user name)
    sudo sh hplip-3.9.6b.run

I let it do its thing and answered the questions as they came up. Once it got everything it wanted installed, it guided me through the actual printer setup and now my printer is on my network. Just thought I would post it incase others ran into the same trouble.

Re: getting HP Officejet Pro 8000 working

Thanks for the info. I am on hplip 3.9.2 from the supported kubuntu repo, I assume that version doesn't support your priinter? (out of curiosity)

Kudos to HP for the linux support, I always buy their printers because of that

Comment

HP seems to support Linux
      my c2480 quietly installed itself, unlike under XP where I had to run a installation disk
      When you stop learning you die.

Comment

Originally posted by freedom2009
        HP seems to support Linux
        my c2480 quietly installed itself, unlike under XP where I had to run a installation disk
        They don't just "seem to", they do it full steam, and they do it with open source drivers:
        http://hplipopensource.com/node/296

Which is why it works out of the box, as you noted

Comment

I am running 8.04 and synaptic lists hplip-2.8.2 as what is available in the repo. I have noticed that a lot of what is listed is much older than what is available for download. Do I need to add repos to get more up to date stuff or upgrade to 9.04? Or is that just how behind they are?

Comment

Well, yes, ideally you always keep upgrading to the latest, in this case 9.04. Kubuntu will not update packages if you stay with 8.04. All you'll get are security fixes and some bugfixes on top of the existing packages. It is better to upgrade and not just change the repos to the new distro. You can get instructions in the Kubuntu.org webpage

Comment

My experience with HP printers and scanners has been very good.

My most recent HP purchase was the USB HP 5610 All-in-one printer, scanner, copier. It was among the printer offerings when I installed it. XSane and GIMP see the scanner and Kubuntu prints to it beautifully. The printer has a the usual paper tray, but it also has a document feeder on top that allows one to automatically copy a multi-page document. It does not do double sided printing, however.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I can also see from hplip the ink levels, it really is first class support.

Comment

Working...
                X