Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] First time on KDE. Help needed.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First time on KDE. Help needed.

Originally posted by iconz255
    I've tried this method before and it works fine. Now what i want to acheive is having indivual files, .pdf files, open office files and so on right on the desktop that behaves like icons. That is i can rename them or whatever on the fly without having to deal with the desktop plasmoid. I also do not use the desktop plasmoid, so it's closed all the time.
    Add the Folder View plasmoid to the desktop. Hover the mouse over it until a black bar appears alond the side. Click the wrench icon. Select the Desktop folder option. Now you can select an app in the menu structure and drag it onto the Desktop folder and release it. A dialog will pop up. Choose "Link here'.

I've noticed, trying to find something is not easy in the repos. I have to admit that its also a bit my fault, I have enabled all the repos but trying to find something simple as firefox was a long path using the kde add/remove tool.
    I recommend Synaptic also. In order to find an app select "All" in the left panel of Synapic. THen enter the first few characters of the app's name which you want to find. The more characters you enter the more refined the search.

By the way how can i see that my current setup supports 3d and 3d software?
    Open a Konsole and issue:
    glxinfo

I you see the following line
    direct rendering: Yes
    somewhere near the top of the listing then you have 3D active. If it says
    direct rendering: No
    then you do not.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: First time on KDE. Help needed.

Thanks everyone for the help. I am sorry for the late reply to the thread. I got busy lately with work and trying to master kubuntu and could not check the forum or reply.

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      Originally posted by iconz255
      I've tried this method before and it works fine. Now what i want to acheive is having indivual files, .pdf files, open office files and so on right on the desktop that behaves like icons. That is i can rename them or whatever on the fly without having to deal with the desktop plasmoid. I also do not use the desktop plasmoid, so it's closed all the time.
      Add the Folder View plasmoid to the desktop. Hover the mouse over it until a black bar appears alond the side. Click the wrench icon. Select the Desktop folder option. Now you can select an app in the menu structure and drag it onto the Desktop folder and release it. A dialog will pop up. Choose "Link here'.

Thanks GreyGeek but that method does not really offer a real workable desktop for me although its a nice workaround. The method that I have found to work best is the method that Baucha mentioned before in the thread to change the Type to Folder View in Appeareance View.

By the way how can i see that my current setup supports 3d and 3d software?
      Open a Konsole and issue:
      glxinfo

I you see the following line
      direct rendering: Yes
      somewhere near the top of the listing then you have 3D active. If it says
      direct rendering: No
      then you do not.
      Thanks that did it

Thanks All

Cheers

Iconz255

Comment