Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] First time on KDE. Help needed.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] First time on KDE. Help needed.

hello KDE forum users. This is my first post here and the first time I am using Kubuntu or Linux. So far so good, everything is running smooth except the Sagem F@st 800 modem but that was expected and is now under control using the excellent utility Ubudsl. That was the only thing that was preventing me from making the full switch but now I have made the dual boot jump but I still have some questions to customize the desktop to fit my needs.

- I am a longtime windows user and i am used to my desktop and today changing to the KDE style desktop is daunting as i had modified my windows desktop to my liking. What i am asking here is simply can i add icons directly on the desktop like windows and interact with them, that is rename etc without having to deal with the desktop panel/plasmoid?

Can the icons be treated like icons instead of everything having a panel open when i hover over it with my mouse? Something in the lines of KDE 3 or is it that the desktop functionality has changed in KDE 4?

If it is the case can i resize all my icons to a certain size for the whole system. I would like to set all my icons to something like 16*16 so that i waste minimum space. I have attached my current windows desktop. i would like something similar in KDE. [i have masked all my personal files ]

- synaptic issue - solved.

- I have read from the KDE forums that neither kde add/remove software nor synaptic keeps track of software installs dependencies. i have read that the aptitude tool is better at this. where can i get more info on this tool especially tutorials and how-to's.

- Is there a tool that indicates me the software installed on the system in a list so that i can easily locate what i have instead of having to hunt them down in synaptic or kde add/remove software tool.

- i have an Ati graphics card. the default kde settings works fine but i want to install the ati flgrx drivers so that i can use some 3d games in kubuntu. i have gone in system>drivers but there is no Ati proprietary drivers listed there. can someone indicate me where and how to get the proper ati flgrx drivers by add/remove or command line.

I rather not have to download the drivers from Ati website and compile it because some users have reported mixed issues on the forums and i do not want to mess up my display.

- concerning swap space, i have read on KDE forums that the recommended setup is RAM*2. I have 2 gb of RAM, so this would lead me to allocate 4 GB on my hard disk. i do not use hibernate mode or do anything very memory intensive like heavy image or video editing or use VMware etc. I would rather like to use 2GB as swap and put the saved 2GB to another use. Do you think that it is correct or should i allocate more to Swap space?

- i plan to use ext4 for my /root partition and fat32 for my home parition when i finalise my setup. this is for just in case i still need windows XP so i can have access to my files. do you think that using fat32 for the home partition would decrease system performance.

- Where can i see the start up items so that i can choose which software runs when system starts

That's it for now. Thanks everybody. I know this is a long thread but please bear with me cause i want to invest time and get to know this software better before making it my primary desktop. LOL . Thanks to everyone.

Thanks

Iconz255
    Attached Files

Re: First time on KDE. Help needed.

Hi Iconz!

Originally posted by iconz255
    - I am a longtime windows user and i am used to my desktop and today changing to the KDE style desktop is daunting as i had modified my windows desktop to my liking. What i am asking here is simply can i add icons directly on the desktop like windows and interact with them, that is rename etc without having to deal with the desktop panel/plasmoid?
    Yes, go to te menu, choose any program, right click, add to desktop

Can the icons be treated like icons instead of everything having a panel open when i hover over it with my mouse? Something in the lines of KDE 3 or is it that the desktop functionality has changed in KDE 4?
    No, you can't, and yes, the KDE4 desktop paradigm is fundamentally different

If it is the case can i resize all my icons to a certain size for the whole system. I would like to set all my icons to something like 16*16 so that i waste minimum space. I have attached my current windows desktop. i would like something similar in KDE. [i have masked all my personal files ]
    I think it's in System Settins -> Appearance -> Icons -> Advanced

- I have read from the KDE forums that neither kde add/remove software nor synaptic keeps track of software installs dependencies. i have read that the aptitude tool is better at this. where can i get more info on this tool especially tutorials and how-to's.
    This is FALSE. I strongly recommend Synaptic for now (KDE's KPackageKit is still a bit broken, it will be hopefully mature by Kubuntu 9.10)

- Is there a tool that indicates me the software installed on the system in a list so that i can easily locate what i have instead of having to hunt them down in synaptic or kde add/remove software tool.
    You can click on the "Installed Status" column in Synaptic and have a list of installed software just as you want

- i have an Ati graphics card. the default kde settings works fine but i want to install the ati flgrx drivers so that i can use some 3d games in kubuntu. i have gone in system>drivers but there is no Ati proprietary drivers listed there. can someone indicate me where and how to get the proper ati flgrx drivers by add/remove or command line.

I rather not have to download the drivers from Ati website and compile it because some users have reported mixed issues on the forums and i do not want to mess up my display.
    I strongly recommend waiting for this to be supported in Hardware Drivers. Otherwise you do need to download from the ATI site (which is what I did). And yes, it can be really painful. ATI is helping write Open Source drivers though, hopefully before year end all of this will be just history

- concerning swap space, i have read on KDE forums that the recommended setup is RAM*2. I have 2 gb of RAM, so this would lead me to allocate 4 GB on my hard disk. i do not use hibernate mode or do anything very memory intensive like heavy image or video editing or use VMware etc. I would rather like to use 2GB as swap and put the saved 2GB to another use. Do you think that it is correct or should i allocate more to Swap space?
    That's an old rule from when RAM was little and expensive, you are more than fine.

- i plan to use ext4 for my /root partition and fat32 for my home parition when i finalise my setup. this is for just in case i still need windows XP so i can have access to my files. do you think that using fat32 for the home partition would decrease system performance.
    Please don't, for /home you need a native Linux partition. You can have a /data if you want, fat32, with some large movies or stuff.

- Where can i see the start up items so that i can choose which software runs when system starts
    System Settings -> Advanced -> Autostart.

That's it for now. Thanks everybody. I know this is a long thread but please bear with me cause i want to invest time and get to know this software better before making it my primary desktop. LOL . Thanks to everyone.

Thanks

Iconz255
    It's a pleasure when folks are nice and grateful Of course I don;t care what software _you_ run a long as you are happy

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano

Can't it be achieved by going to 'Desktop Settings' and changing the type to 'Folder View' ?? Haven't tried it but it becomes similar to windoze xp desktop with files n folders plus widget in the desktop
      Sony Vaio VGN-NR160E/T<br />Kubuntu 9.04 KDE 4.3.00

Comment

First of all, thanks lmilano for your reply.

Yes, go to te menu, choose any program, right click, add to desktop

I've tried this method before and it works fine. Now what i want to acheive is having indivual files, .pdf files, open office files and so on right on the desktop that behaves like icons. That is i can rename them or whatever on the fly without having to deal with the desktop plasmoid. I also do not use the desktop plasmoid, so it's closed all the time.

Its unfortunate. I guess i'll have to accommodate with what i have and adapt myself but before i'll try and see if i can make it work my way before changing my habits.

This is FALSE. I strongly recommend Synaptic for now (KDE's KPackageKit is still a bit broken, it will be hopefully mature by Kubuntu 9.10)
        I've noticed, trying to find something is not easy in the repos. I have to admit that its also a bit my fault, I have enabled all the repos but trying to find something simple as firefox was a long path using the kde add/remove tool.

I strongly recommend waiting for this to be supported in Hardware Drivers. Otherwise you do need to download from the ATI site (which is what I did). And yes, it can be really painful. ATI is helping write Open Source drivers though, hopefully before year end all of this will be just history
        I have an ATI X1550 which ATI states on its website that it does not develops drivers anymore for this model. [something that i've found a bit wired as i had bought my card like 2 years ago]. So should I wait for the next ATI open drivers or try another route and find if a method exists for installing the ATI drivers. By the way how can i see that my current setup supports 3d and 3d software?

Please don't, for /home you need a native Linux partition. You can have a /data if you want, fat32, with some large movies or stuff.

Ok, i'll keep the /home partition in linux format. By the way it is in the /home folder that all the documents, music and pictures are saved by default? Can i setup another partition in fat32/nfts and indicate to the Kubuntu system to save files to this partition by default instead of using /home? What i wanted to do is having a partition where i will keep my documents, files, music etc be accessible easily by both Kubuntu and Windows if the need arises.

Thanks

Iconz255
        It's a pleasure when folks are nice and grateful Of course I don;t care what software _you_ run a long as you are happy
        Thanks lmilano, its always a pleasure to deal with people who are not fanboys and can give you a clear answer on which type of software you use.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by baucha
          Can't it be achieved by going to 'Desktop Settings' and changing the type to 'Folder View' ?? Haven't tried it but it becomes similar to windoze xp desktop with files n folders plus widget in the desktop

Thanks baucha, i'll try and see if i can that method to work for me.

Thanks for the tip

Cheers

Iconz255

Comment

By the way, what firewall can i choose to use with Kubuntu, which is easy to setup and operate. I do not like the idea of surfing on the internet while leaving my system open to everyone.

I have read that Linux systems are less prone to viruses but rather prone to rootkits attacks. Is there a way to prevent these type of programs to land on your system and even if they do to detect them and remove them.

Also i want to install the codecs for mp3, java, flash and java. Can you indicate me what is the proper package that provides these proprietary codecs.

Can i use the method listed here at psychocats ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
            Iconz255

Comment

I've tried this method before and it works fine. Now what i want to acheive is having indivual files, .pdf files, open office files and so on right on the desktop that behaves like icons. That is i can rename them or whatever on the fly without having to deal with the desktop plasmoid. I also do not use the desktop plasmoid, so it's closed all the time.
              We'll, in KDE-4 you'll need it, for good and for evil, if you want to keep working with a desktop. I would give a try a couple weeks, you might like it after a while, who knows

I have an ATI X1550 which ATI states on its website that it does not develops drivers anymore for this model. [something that i've found a bit wired as i had bought my card like 2 years ago]. So should I wait for the next ATI open drivers or try another route and find if a method exists for installing the ATI drivers. By the way how can i see that my current setup supports 3d and 3d software?
              Ah, you have this chipset: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R520
              It is mostly supported for all: just check that movies in youtube/hulu play fine (2D), and some game, maybe world of padman. You should be fine. Here are some tech details:
              http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

Can i setup another partition in fat32/nfts and indicate to the Kubuntu system to save files to this partition by default instead of using /home? What i wanted to do is having a partition where i will keep my documents, files, music etc be accessible easily by both Kubuntu and Windows if the need arises.
              Yes, you can add a link from /home/yourname/MyDocuments pointing to a folder in the fat partition, it should be fine

Cheers!
              Leo

Comment

Also i want to install the codecs for mp3, java, flash and java. Can you indicate me what is the proper package that provides these proprietary codecs.
                Just install: kubuntu-restricted-extras
                https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/

Comment

Thanks i'll try that. By the way i noticed that the drivers from ati offers an automated installation as mentioned in their installation options here https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...cat92-inst.pdf.

Can i use this to maximize the use of my graphics card for 3d?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by baucha
                    Originally posted by lmilano

Many thanks. That did it! I have my old style desktop back. Although now i do not have access to plasmoids on the desktop. i can get used to this situation. Many thanks.

Cheers
                    Iconz255

Comment

Thanks i'll try that. By the way i noticed that the drivers from ati offers an automated installation as mentioned in their installation options here https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...cat92-inst.pdf.

Can i use this to maximize the use of my graphics card for 3d?

Thanks
                      Well, if you had a supported card you could. But as you noted above, ATI dropped binary driver support for your hardware. The reason being: ATI is trying to move to the (much better) opensource approach, and your card already has 3D acceleration through the open-source driver.

Comment

Thanks for your reply leo. oh well, i guess i could live without fancy 3d "bling bling" effects.

Now what firewall would you recommend me for the kubuntu system?

I am rather careful when surfing the internet, should i also go for an antivirus, just in case?

Thanks

Cheers

Iconz255

Comment

How do you connect to the net? Most people use broadband, and the modem-router has a built in firewall. Are you sure this is _not_ your case? It is mine, so I don't use one.

I could look around later if you need it, you want something graphical (Linux has a built in firewall, called iptables, but you want a nice graphical interface for that). But please check if that's the case, most likely you don't.

Comment

Thanks Leo. I actually connect to the internet using a DSL modem (the infamous Sagem F@st 800) which I have managed to get to work using the very helpful Ubudsl. I do not think that my modem has a built in firewall, thats why i want to use a software one.

I have had a look at the repos and have downloaded some packages like Firestarter, Gufw and Kmyfirewall.

I am using the Gufw right now because it is the most "easy" and the one which i think i understood the best. I have had a look at the iptables built in firewall and I have to say that this tool is well beyond my technical reach. Thats why i have settled on Gufw.

I'll start a new thread to get the input of others on this issue.

Thanks.

Comment

I think you are on the right track my friend. Just FYI: Gufw is a fronted to Ufw, which in turn is a command-line simplified interface to iptables. So, under the hood you will be using iptables. I think you made the right choice

And I think you are right, your modem doesn't seem to have a built in firewall. A new thread is a great idea. Feel free to post a link to the new thread here, and please mark this thread as [SOLVED] if you can (just modify the title of the first post).

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X