This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freecol install

I know that this question just screams "newbie!", but can someone tell me how to install this and add it to the games on my menu. I understand that Freecol can be downloaded from the package manager, but it's the old version and I would like to run the newest. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

http://www.freecol.org/download.html
    No pride here, I just need HELP!!!

Re: Freecol install

1) Install Sun Java6 JRE . The easiest way is probably to install kubuntu-restricted-extras. Connect to the internet, open a Terminal and input:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
    2) Go to the Freecol site and get freecol-0.8.3-installer.jar Platform independent installer . Save that to your Home. RIGHT click on it and choose "Open with SunJava6 runtime"

3) That should start the installer and you should see entries in your Menu. They will probably not work!

4) Open a Terminal. Navigate to the folder called freecol:
    cd freecol
    5) Issue the command (It's in the Readme file!):
    java -Xmx256M -jar FreeCol.jar
    6) You probably need to manually edit the Menu so that it will issue the right command - but I'm in Crunchbang Linux at the moment and I can't immediately tell you how to do that...

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I'd suggest starting here:

http://gwos.org/doku.php/guides:start

I'm not a gamer.

Be cautious -- the older version in the repos that actually works may be a better choice than the new version that, uhhhhh, breaks your system.

EDIT: -- Ooooooops, sorry arochester!

Comment

This was tested with the Kubuntu Karmic Koala (KK repositories have the 0.8.3+).

As the "arochester" told you will need the Java
        I. Requirements
        =================================
        The program is written in Java. It can be ran with any Java
        Runtime Environment (JRE) that is at least version 1.5.0.

Alternative installation

Downloading: freecol-0.8.3.tar.gz Precompiled .tar.gz

Unpacking it to the /Games directory (/home/rog/Games/freecol/). Dolphin > Right click freecol-0.8.3.tar.gz > Extract Archive To..

After the Ark has unpacked the archive. Right click the K-button > Menu editor > New Item (Freecol)

Name: Freecol
        Command: sh /home/rog/Games/freecol/freecol

At the Advanced tab:

Work path: /home/rog/Games/freecol/

Save and exit the Menu editor.

Here: K > Applications > Games > Tactics&Strategy > Freecol

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Ok, I'll try it again in a little while, I butchered it when I tried to install it myself. Where do I find the KK repository? Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by grouchyhermit

Where do I find the KK repository?
            Standard *buntu repositories are installed by default when you install Kubuntu. All the K/X/Ed/Ubuntu packages are in the standard repositories.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

If your freecol package is in the standard repositories, you can install it in a Konsole window with
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install freecol
            If you get a "not found" error, then you might need to add one of the other repositories.

Comment

@grouchy: As you may or may or may not be aware, the Karmic Koala distribution (that some of the experienced users are suggesting that you install) is a BETA that will not be released for general use until the end of October. Accordingly, you would be using it at your own risk. I would anticipate that while your game might work with Karmic, a number of other things might not. This would definitely NOT provide you with the introduction to Kubuntu and Linux that you are entitled to. Therefore, my advice is to use the software that's available for Jaunty and wait for Karmic, unless you are an experienced Linux Linux user.

Comment

OOps !! Note !!

That:
                This was tested with the Kubuntu Karmic Koala (KK repositories have the 0.8.3+).
                Is just informative: The next release version has the freecol 0.8.3+ but as "askrieger" et.al said:

The Karmic is an alpha release. Do not install it on production machines. The final stable version will be released on October 29th, 2009.
                It is a good alpha BUT is still an alpha. There are broken apps and there will be more broken things...

I was downloading and unpacking freecol from the www.freecol.org

Comment

It is possible to download single packages from the Ubuntu repositories > Ubuntu packages

The Freecol (Karmic) and the Kubuntu 9.04

Downloading freecol_0.8.3+dfsg-1_all.deb and trying to install it:
                  Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: java-wrappers (>=0.1.13)
                  The Kubuntu 9.04 has: java-wrappers (0.1.12), wrappers for java executables
                  This package can be used by packagers of java programs to
                  provide java runtime detection, jar lookup and a consistent
                  user interface (debugging, environment variables).

Here the Freecol from the http://www.freecol.org/download.html is working fine with the Kubuntu 9.04.

Comment

I have a funeral to go too then I'll try again, I'll let you all know the results.

Comment

Working...
                    X