X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu, Problems with login

I lately decided to give Kubuntu a try.
    After installation everything worked fine.

Here is the problem:
    Basically, after adding a few packages (kdedevelopment, gcc, videocodecs, javadevelopment, etc.) and restarting, nothing will appear.
    What I mean is - after logging in (kde), the loading screen will disappear, then reappear maybe 5 times. Then the desktop and taskbar will appear (completely unresponsive to the keyboard or mouse), then disappear leaving the default grey screen up.

I thought that I had install some package which created this problem, so I started all over, being more careful as to what I installed (restarting frequently). The problem seemed to appear after I added some kdedevelopment packages.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
    Any recommendations?

Thank you

Re: Kubuntu, Problems with login

Clearly it is a video display problem. Are any of the packages that you are installing affecting KDM or the window decorator?

What is your graphics chip and driver?

Comment

I have a ATI HD 4670.

One of the first things I do is install the video driver. Which I do by going to "drivers" & it detects & installs the ATI catalyst Control Center. I did not change any settings within it though.

I don't have any problems logging into gnome. However, I do get an error message discussing an improper load - asking me if I would like remove a file.

Comment

Ok, that problem is beyond fixable now.
        Before the logon I get a frozen random selection of pixels.

Sooo, how can I avoid this problem if I try again.

I want this linux partition for development, so I need:
        -dual monitor capability
        -gcc, g++, java, qt, gvim, etc

Comment

Working...
        X