This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to 64 bit?

Is it possible to upgrade a 32 bit install of Kubuntu to 64 bit or will I need to do a clean install?

Re: Upgrade to 64 bit?

I beleve you'll half to do a clean install with a 64bit ISO

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

vinny is correct. It's not an "upgrade", it's a "different-grade".

Comment

About 9 months ago I purchased a Sony VAIO VGN-FW140E/H notebook. In looking at the specs I noticed that the 32 bit VISTA Home Premium was installed and didn't look any closer at the hardware. I installed the 32bit Kubuntu 9.04 iso and have been well pleased with the results.

About a month ago, in response to a question about the SPECIFIC specs of my machine I went to a CNET review, where the reviewer mentioned that having a Centrino 2 inside made it a 64 bit machine. I was stunned. I downloaded the 64bit Kubunti iso and burned it and booted it as a LiveCD to see if it would run. Would it ever!

Net result. Where my current setup, with accelerated 3D video, gives me about 750 fps +-15, running as a LiveCD the 64 bit machine gave me 865 fps. Apps started MUCH snappier and ran faster. Over all, I'd say about 20% faster.

My first indication that I wanted to stay with the 32 bit OS was when several apps I tried to install indicated that they needed a 32bit "invironmental modules" in which to run the 32 bit apps. After a few of those I decided to stay with the 32bit OS. Besides, my laptop has only 3GB of RAM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          I downloaded the 64bit Kubunti iso and burned it and booted it as a LiveCD to see if it would run. Would it ever!

Net result. Where my current setup, with accelerated 3D video, gives me about 750 fps +-15, running as a LiveCD the 64 bit machine gave me 865 fps. Apps started MUCH snappier and ran faster. Over all, I'd say about 20% faster.

My first indication that I wanted to stay with the 32 bit OS was when several apps I tried to install indicated that they needed a 32bit "invironmental modules" in which to run the 32 bit apps. After a few of those I decided to stay with the 32bit OS. Besides, my laptop has only 3GB of RAM.
          Impressive. I'd be very interested to see how the 64 bit version would go if installed on your machine, maybe as a dual boot, or even possibly on a spare USB flash disk. Can you be tempted to try it?

Anyway, 64 bit can only improve with time, needing less 32 bit apps. I'm considering a 64 bit machine for my next purchase, probably in 2010 or 2011 - depending on how long this one holds out, but I'd love to keep it for running alphas.
          HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

My first indication that I wanted to stay with the 32 bit OS was when several apps I tried to install indicated that they needed a 32bit "invironmental modules" in which to run the 32 bit apps.
            The ia32-libs package will let you run most non-free apps that don't have a 64-bit version (like GoogleEarth, Skype, etc.).

Comment

That was why I stayed with 32 bit as well but I'm really starting to think that I need the extra performance that 64 bit will give me. Besides, throwing in the 64 bit OS will allow me to put in another couple of gigabytes of RAM which would help as well.

Originally posted by dibl
              It's not an "upgrade", it's a "different-grade".
              Yeah, I thought that may be the case but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask

Comment

Working...
              X