This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

faster framerates with linux?

I was wondering if i really would get faster framerates from vista to linux (kubuntu specifically). I am hoping World of warcraft will run faster. Is this true, and if so will it be significant?

Re: faster framerates with linux?

It's hard to tell if you don't give any details

What's your graphics card? What driver are you using? The quick answer is that if things are configured properly you can have excellent frame-rates under linux. ATI has opened the specs of their hardware, and within a year I would expect all their cards will be fully supported with open source drivers (which are always more stable and easier to upgrade)

Comment

I run WoW on my notebook with an nvidia 9600M GT, using the 185.18.14 drivers from https://launchpad.net/~brandonsnider/+archive/ppa. I think the framerates are comparable between Vista and Kubuntu, but the game plays "smoother" in Kubuntu.

Under Vista, every once in a while the display just freezes for a fraction of a second; it's not bad, but noticeable.

Under Kubuntu, I don't have this glitch. Game play is great!

edit: I should mention that I always turn off Desktop Effects when playing. It helps a bit. I've added a widget called plasma-widget-toggle-compositing to my panel, so I can quickly toggle Effects on or off.

Comment

Originally posted by kendubya
        I run WoW on my notebook with an nvidia 9600M GT, using the 185.18.14 drivers from https://launchpad.net/~brandonsnider/+archive/ppa. I think the framerates are comparable between Vista and Kubuntu, but the game plays "smoother" in Kubuntu.

Under Vista, every once in a while the display just freezes for a fraction of a second; it's not bad, but noticeable.

Under Kubuntu, I don't have this glitch. Game play is great!

edit: I should mention that I always turn off Desktop Effects when playing. It helps a bit. I've added a widget called plasma-widget-toggle-compositing to my panel, so I can quickly toggle Effects on or off.
        sorey to jump in this but how do you run WoW on Kubuntu? .....wine.....cedaga.......is thar a WoW pkg for us in linux .....realey I'd like to know.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Not sure about WoW, but my _integrated_ graphics (ATI HD3200) are doing extremely well in Linux (@ my modest monitor resolution of 1260x1024). WoP (W o Padman) and Alien Arena are running just dandy @ max or close to max settings on my Phenom X3 system

Comment

Working...
          X