This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

screen shuts down when trying to play 3D games

intel pentium 4 3ghz processor with 1 GB ram and NVidia Gforce 6200, double-mount XP and kubuntu on two hard drives.
    i've tried to play both Diablo 2 (from both EXT4 and FAT32) and FreedroidRPG and every time i start each of those games the screen goes into power save mode and gives a very short message that the frequency is "out of range". what's the problem and how can i fix it?

Re: screen shuts down when trying to play 3D games + no screen savers

Have you installed the NVIDIA drivers for your video card?

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...4892#msg164892

Also see here for current driver informatin:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122606

Have you set up the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file for your card?

Does compositing work?
    SystemSettings>Desktop>EnableSpecialEffects
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

yes, i've installed the latest driver, the one which had [recommended] next to it and had the most advanced version number, i don't remember the exact version but it was the latest nvidia driver.
      i don't know the first thing in setting up the xorg.conf file but desktop effects and other openGL things work perfectly so the driver must work. i have opensuse on my laptop and the driver there is messed up (ati card) so things that are even remotely related to 3D don't work at all there.

Comment

Originally posted by swefal

the frequency is "out of range". what's the problem and how can i fix it?
        That is actually coming from the monitor or LCD. There are a couple of threads on this forum from folks who had that problem -- basically the monitor is giving wrong information to the driver, regarding its vertical and/or horizontal refresh rates. I haven't personally dealt with that, but I believe the solution involves determining what the real capabilities of the specific model of display are, and then inserting a "modeline" into the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to control it.

You might try opening nvidia-settings in root mode, via Alt-F2 "kdesudo nvidia-settings", and on the X Server display configuration tab click the "detect displays" button, then do "Save Configuration to X file" -- it might pick it up that way. Make sure you leave the refresh rate in nvidia-settings set to "auto", unless/until you learn what the display requires.

Comment

thanks for the quick reply but it didn't help.
          the screen says it's a frequency problem indeed but the message appears too briefly for me to write down the given frequencies and the supported ones.

[update]
          i checked the monitor and the operational horizontal refresh rate is 80 KHz and the vertical is 75 Hz.

Comment

Re: screen shuts down when trying to play 3D games

And in nvidia-settings you have refresh set to "Auto"?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              And in nvidia-settings you have refresh set to "Auto"?
              the resolution is set to "auto" and therefore the refresh rate is set to "auto" without a possibility to change it (unless i manually set the resolution, which is 1280 x 1024).

Comment

Does nvidia-settings show you the name/model of the monitor? ( I assume you already tried "Detect Displays" as I wrote above.)

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                  Does nvidia-settings show you the name/model of the monitor? ( I assume you already tried "Detect Displays" as I wrote above.)
                  definitely. it recognises it as "KTC L-9005L", which may be possible since it's a swedish "store brand". i thought that might be the problem but the nvidia config won't let me choose a screen on my own so i can't test it.

Comment

Working...
                  X