E: Couldn't find package b43-fwcutter
    karl@karl-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install synptic
    [sudo] password for karl:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package synptic
    karl@karl-laptop:~$

is my situation really this hopeless? are these all things that should be there? or am i doing something wrong?

Comment

Re: VERY NEW to all of this

A better package manager is synaptic.

IN a konsole enter: sudo apt-get install synaptic

The b43-fwcutter package is in the "us.archive.ubuntu.com/main" repository.

When you run Synaptic open the "settings"-->"repositories" and on the first tab make sure the first four check boxes are checked.

Close the repository dialog and click the "Reload" icon on the main dialog. This updates the apps cache. Make sure the "All" in the left panel is highlighted (selected).

Enter "b43" (without quotes) in the search textbox. You should see the b43-fwcutter app. Check it's box and then click the Green Arror (the apply icon). After that everything will be automatic, and your wireless light should come on.

Close Synaptic when the installation and configuration of your wireless is complete.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by TokenBirdGuy
        is my situation really this hopeless? are these all things that should be there? or am i doing something wrong?
        Before trying to install packages, you should do a "sudo apt-get update" to refresh the package lists (sort of catalogue for available packages)...and post any errors the command gives you.

Also, if you weren't connected to the network when installing, the online repositories may be disabled. If you post the contents of "/etc/apt/sources.list" we can check that it is working order.

Comment

Building dependency tree
          I think the package is called synaptic, not synptic

Comment

I am sure you will get there

First (which I forgot to recommend ) update your package list. The quickest way to do this is from a terminal to type
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            Return

Password

Then
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install synaptic
            Once it has downloaded and installed you can run it via the kmenu (aka the start button)

Once in synaptic ensure you have "all" selected in the left hand panel and in the search box type fwcutter and you should see the package you need. If there is no green box by the side of it then it's not installed which is probably the problem - as others have said, it's not on the CD as not everyone needs it. Right click and select mark for installation and hit the green apply "tick" on the top panel. You should then see it download and install. Once it has done (it will tell you) close synaptic.

Now, you've just installed a module for the kernel. These things normally run at boot-time, so you should restart your machine. My guess is your wireless card will be detected when you have rebooted.

Good luck with this.

Comment

Originally posted by skunk
              Building dependency tree
              I think the package is called synaptic, not synptic
              oops. i'm a lefty wit a broken hand. well, i feel better knowing its jest simple error on my end.

Comment

well, good news is that the light is on...but i still can't get wireless. what's the next step?

Comment

Do you have the "Network Management" Icon in your panel, at the bottom left?

If so, then click the left mouse click on it and check "Enable Wireless". In the dialog that opened all of the near-by wireless devices should show up. Click on your and fill in the requested type and password. Be sure to check "Connect Automatically".

Some folks do not like "Network Manager". If you decide you don't then uninstall it and install "wicd". It is very straight forward to setup.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

ok, i just reinstalled kubuntu because i couldn't think what else to do. i tried loading wicd and uninstalling network manager. well, wicd didn't connect to either the wireless or the wired, and i couldnt get network manager back. the light is now on, but when the enabled light is on, it says its disconnected. what now?

Comment

ok, i just reinstalled kubuntu because i couldn't think what else to do. i tried loading wicd and uninstalling network manager. well, wicd didn't connect to either the wireless or the wired, and i couldnt get network manager back. the light is now on, but when the enabled light is on, it says its disconnected. what now?
                      Give it your connection data (essid, connection type, password) and activate it.

Comment

It doesn't automatically identify the connection?

Comment

It doesn't automatically identify the connection?
                          Sure, if you use the "scan" button. then click on the essid that you wish to use. However, you still have to enter your wireless password. If you don't use the scan button then you enter the essid, type and password., then check the "automatically connect" checkbox.

Comment

the problem is now that when I scan, nothing comes up. every other computer in the house can connect no problem. But this one now can't even find the internet.

Comment

Have you installed the b43 fwcutter package?

Comment

Working...
                              X