This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VERY NEW to all of this

Hey all. Title pretty much sums it up. I searched the forum to see if anyone else is having this problem, but a lot of the terms being thrown around are completely foreign to me, so here goes.

I guess I'll start with what I have. its a Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop w/ Windows XP, service patch 3. For lack if knowledge of computer terminology, ill refer to car talk and say it's stock (i know some people modify computers. I'm not one of them...yet. we'll see how this goes.

I just downloaded Kubuntu this week, so I would assume it's the newest version (9.04 i believe)

Its on the disk right now. I select the "try it from disk" option, and i get to a black, dos-like screen that reads...

Loading, please wait...

BusyBox v1.10.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.10.2-2ubuntu7) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)

its waiting for me to do something, but i don't know what. I want the visually astetic layout that i see when i run a google images search of kubuntu, not this. Any ideas? please, if you must use linux terminology, tell me what it means. I really know nothing about programing. ultimately, i am going to be building a computer for my car that will hopefully be runing some form of linux. from what i hear, it loads up faster than windows, which is what i really need. thanks again, and hope to hear from you guys soon. i'm sitting here right now watching my laptop asking for instructions, which unfortunately i can't give it.

Re: VERY NEW to all of this

over 15 reads and no responses? is this really that unusual an event?

Comment

Originally posted by TokenBirdGuy
      over 15 reads and no responses? is this really that unusual an event?
      Not unusual at all -- actually it's very common, and has been written about many times before.

Please review #1 on the FAQs linked in my signature -- it sounds like you made a bad CD. Linux Live CDs are not like music CDs -- they have to be perfect, and music CDs do not. So you have to follow the process.

and ... Welcome!

Comment

Thank you for the welcome. I obviosly have a`lot to learn. I have reloaded Kubuntu, and now it is all I have on thed computer (partitioning didn't go well, so now I have kubuntu and a clean hard drive. everything was backed up on an external hd. my issue now is that i can't get online. i've found the internet utility. the issue seems to be that i can't get the internal wireless card to turn on. when i was working with xp, holding the function code and pressing f2. that doesn't turn the wireless led on, so i'm going to assume that the card isn't turned on either. I've read through a bunch of faqs, but the answers are too technological for me to understand. please help. thanks again.

Comment

what kind of wireless card do you have? If not sure, enter
          Code:
          lspci
          in konsole, and post the output...

mm0
          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

As a dell laptop user (Inspiron 630m 2006 vintage) I can tell you that it's hit and miss as to whether you will get the Wireless LED working, although Alt+F2 will still enable/disable the wireless function.

Do as mm0 has suggested and copy and paste the output into your reply. We can then tell what card you have and hopefully what needs to be done to fix it.

Ian

Comment

karl@karl-laptop:~$ lspci
              00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)
              00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
              00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
              00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
              00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
              00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
              00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03)
              00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03)
              00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03)
              00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 03)
              00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
              00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d3)
              00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
              00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller (rev 03)
              02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
              02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
              karl@karl-laptop:~$

I can connect no problem to a wired network, as i am on right now with that. only wireless is a problem.

Comment

There appears to be a solution here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1101467

According to this it needs a proprietary driver which should be available under system/hardware drivers. Can't say what the exact term is as I'm at ms work (XP (TM)) machine now.

Comment

let us know how it goes. You look to have a 4318 Wireless device. Try the solution posted by The Liquidator. It seems I have read something lately about someone else having problems with this card...so if the above solution doesn't work, search the forum for 'broadcom 4318', or 'airforce one'.

mm0
                  Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

I can only dream of aspiring to be as good at this stuff as you guys...but that doesn't mean i can't try. how did you come to that conclusion? are there any "dummy" books about kubuntu? i really have no clue what people are saying in 95% of the forums i've read, so the answer could stare me in the face and i wouldn't even know it. can anyone reccomend anything for learning?

Comment

it says there are no proprietary drivers that are in use on the system. again, what does that mean, and what do i do?

Comment

Originally posted by TokenBirdGuy

can anyone reccomend anything for learning?
                        #12 on the FAQs has some useful pointers for the students (and we're all students, hey?)

Comment

A little more research suggests that you need this package:

b43-fwcutter

Check whether it is installed in your package manager. If not, install it, and then reboot. Is your card detected then?

Comment

i looked in kpackagekit, and it doesnt show anything, (the window is blank) does that mean its not there, or am i not doing something right?

Comment

At least at the moment kpackagekit isn't very good.

Start a terminal and type sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter then hit return

You will be prompted for your password.

You will then either get an offer to install it (probably together with a couple of dependencies) or a message that it's already installed.

You might also think of installing synaptic, which is another package manager which is much better than kpackagekit.

Try typing sudo apt-get install synaptic - notice the theme here - so long as you know the name of a package and it's available you can quickly install it with that command.

Back to topic - if fwcutter is already installed, I can't rule out that your issue might be the network manager. You could try installing a package called WICD with

sudo apt-get install wicd. That is a stand-alone network connection manager. Installing that will remove a couple of packages and install Wicd. Once done hit alt+F2 and type Wicd to run it.

Comment

Working...
                              X