This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie with developer aspirations...

I'm loving kubuntu and linux in general, and would really like to get involved and help out in the community. Having said that, I'm currently no more than a mere casual end-user, and I would like to do more than advocate!

I'm not sure if this is true, but even beta-testers should have competent knowledge in programming, right? Well I have ZERO programming experience, and would like to get started... Anybody out there with recommendations on a good "starter" language for a total noob to begin with? Preferably something that is used a lot in Kubuntu projects, as that would be where I'd like to focus my efforts. Thanks a lot!

Also have read a little about assembly language, was wondering about it's usefulness, and it's place in the free/open source world... I don't even know where to start asking, or what I want to ask, I guess I'm VERY confused LOL.

Side question, for confirmation: Is 32-/64-bit compatibility in any way a factor in learning a programming language? As far as I can understand it doesn't, because programs are just written into one source code, and from there compiled into their respective 32-/64-bit binaries... right?

Re: Newbie with developer aspirations...

Python's a nice language to learn, and fairly widely used throughout ubuntu (eg. the installer for 6.06 is python based). Check out python.org for links to tutorials and docs.

C is probably the most widely used language over all the packages for ubuntu, but personally I prefer C++ (also fairly widely used). I recommend Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo if you want a book to learn C++ from.

Don't worry about assembly language. I've not had cause to use that for years, literally. Usually it just hurts portability to other architectures, so isn't a good idea.

32/64 bit - again, don't worry about this. Mostly it's taken care of by the compiler, as you said, unless you're going to dive straight into kernel hacking

Comment

Re: Newbie with developer aspirations...

Thanks a lot marble, will definitely look into python first and foremost... Your input is much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
      X