This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems booting off kubuntu livecd

hi all, new to the forum, not so new to debian/kubuntu (but by no means an expert ... just a geek)

i have a problem with booting from the latest 32 bit live CD (sorry can't remember version name - downloaded this morning), and i was hoping you guys might be able to help.

System specs:
    Gigabyte ep45-ds3p (with fake raid controller)
    Core II duo (can't remember speed or actual chip name, think its 2.6GHZ or some
    2GB ram
    2x 1TB HDD (will use debootstrap to install as a raid 1 if i can get it to boot)

The Problem:
    i boot from the live CD, select the language, then it starts loading something (5-10 seconds maybe) and the system reboots.

before it reboots, something flashes up "[ 7.402882] Not Responding" (in console like text) it then reboots instantly (within milliseconds)

what can i try to get this working

What i am trying to do, is use debootstrap to install debian or ubuntu in raid 1 onto the HDDs (found a good tutorial that seams it may very well work ... http://juerd.nl/site.plp/debianraid but i am unable to test, as i cannot boot into a live CD ...

has anyone had similar issues

OH, i have also tried the latest version of knoppix with the same result ...
    ask a silly question and remain a fool for 5 minutes...<br />don&#39;t ask, and remain a fool for life<br />__<br />JD<br />VNC2Me - OpenSource VNC over SSH for win32

Re: problems booting off kubuntu livecd

Since i posted this, i have tried several different options ... i havetried:
    • a vmware esxi server install DVD/CD, and this boots fine, but doesn't support the hardware.
    • a couple of month old citirx zen server doesn't boot (finished loading boot image then crashes at about the same point - no errors)
    • Debian 5.01 install DVD #1 - this has the same problems when you boot using i686 version, but interestingly the i386 version boots fine and then installs and reboots perfectly (into a minimal install only ... but it works)

Anyone have any thoughts on these errors (or rather lack of errors)
    ask a silly question and remain a fool for 5 minutes...<br />don&#39;t ask, and remain a fool for life<br />__<br />JD<br />VNC2Me - OpenSource VNC over SSH for win32

Comment

The current version is 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope.

The link you gave was a little dated, 2005 May, here is the ubuntu current installation guide
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...icalInstall%22

If you have the Debian 5.0.1 DVD then network bandwidth is not a problem. I would suggest a netinstall CD image, which is the minimal, and allow the installer to search your hardware and find the drivers it needs from the repositories rather than relying on what's on the DVD, although the Debian DVD has a very good range.

Its surprising that the live CD didn't work. First suspect the media - is the md5sum correct?
      If the CD is OK, look at the options, one at a time, it could be the screen or graphics driver, possibly acpi.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation has more information, you could try the 'alternate' installer which does not have a live CD option.
      HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Thanks for your responce kevinc ... but i am still having no luck ... anyone had experience with this MOBO
        Originally posted by kevinc
        The link you gave was a little dated, 2005 May, here is the ubuntu current installation guide
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...icalInstall%22
        I would suggest a netinstall CD image, which is the minimal
        Been there ... tried that ... it appears to be the kernel drivers or something close to it that are crashing, as it doesn't boot at all into anything (apart from the syslinux screen)

Its surprising that the live CD didn't work. First suspect the media - is the md5sum correct?
        If the CD is OK, look at the options, one at a time, it could be the screen or graphics driver, possibly acpi.
        Have been looking and looking ... but cannot find a solution that allows me to boot from the stupid thing ... AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation has more information, you could try the 'alternate' installer which does not have a live CD option.
        Has the same problems ... it appears that all flavours of the latest kernels have the same problem booting this rubish motherboard ... its the last time i buy a gigabyte MOBO ... not had these troubles with ASUS OBO's EVER ....

Comment

Working...
        X