This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install tar.gz files in Kubuntu?

i cant get my finger on how to install tar.gz packages for install. I can open them with ARK but that's not installing. Witch software do i need to install these in the right place and how?
    Linux beautiful to watch!<br />Kubuntu 10.4 with Canon MX310 in Samba network with Windows XP &amp; 7

Re: How to install tar.gz files in Kubuntu?

Oke this I do not understand. When using get-apt install linux knows where my download is and installed it. I mean this is great but how does it know where I left or downloaded this package to install.
    Linux beautiful to watch!<br />Kubuntu 10.4 with Canon MX310 in Samba network with Windows XP &amp; 7

Comment

Originally posted by Eljo
      i cant get my finger on how to install tar.gz packages for install. I can open them with ARK but that's not installing. Witch software do i need to install these in the right place and how?

CAUTION !!!

Since you posted in "New Guy" I'm going to advise you against attempting to install anything that you obtained as a xxx.tar.gz -- you could bork your system pretty badly in very short order.

Until you have learned all about "debian packages" and related matters like how to handle missing dependencies, you should stick with the packages in the official (and the semi-official) repositories. There are over 26,000 of them -- you should be able to find what you need there.

If you absolutely need to install a non-Ubuntu package, you need to start a new thread, tell us what you need, and hopefully a kind soul will guide you so that you don't break your system.

MORE: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...092288.new#new

Comment

What i need is software in Dutch (thunderbird), this is not in standard in kubuntu

Comment

So, even you installed Kubuntu with the Dutch locale, t-bird does not give you Dutch?

Is the Dutch t-bird available in a .deb package?

Comment

Have you tried package: thunderbird-locale-nl ?
            Menu and message resource and region property package
            for Thunderbird (Dutch; Flemish language, nl).

Thunderbird (or Firefox, or Seamonkey) from the Mozilla

There is the > Ubuntuzilla
            This is the home of the Ubuntuzilla project, which is a python script that allows the user to install the latest versions of Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla SeaMonkey, and Mozilla Thunderbird on Ubuntu Linux....

From the tar archive:

a) Download the thunderbird tar.gz from the Mozilla
            b) Unpack the tar.gz

Here it is in the /home/rog/Public/thunderbird-2.0.0.22.tar.gz.

Konsole:
            Code:
            sudo tar -C /usr/local -xvf /home/rog/Public/thunderbird-2.0.0.22.tar.gz
            Check
            Code:
            ls /usr/local
            bin etc firefox games include lib man sbin seamonkey share src thunderbird XnViewMP
            Symlinking:
            Code:
            sudo ln -s /usr/local/thunderbird/thunderbird /usr/local/bin/thunderbird
            Check:
            Code:
            ls -l /usr/local/bin/thunderbird
            lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 2009-06-24 21:08 /usr/local/bin/thunderbird -> /usr/local/thunderbird/thunderbird
            Now the Thunderbird will start with the command:
            thunderbird
            Adding Thunderbird in the KDE menu:

Right click the K > Menu Editor > click the Internet section active

File > New Item...

Change the Icon and add the start command = Command: thunderbird

Save and exit the KDE Menu editor
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment