Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(FIXED)How do I save Kubuntu on a dual boot and reinstall XP? ( grubs etc)please

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(FIXED)How do I save Kubuntu on a dual boot and reinstall XP? ( grubs etc)please

I have one HDD partitioned into 2 .
    On the 1st partition I have Xp and on the second Kubuntu 9.04. ( I must have XP for various programs)
    I now have a unrepairable problem with xp and need to format that partition and reinstall XP.
    But in doing so I'm going to loose the Grub boot loader.
    Is there a way I can reinstall XP on the 1st partition and then get into my Kubuntu partition via the live cd and reinstall and configure grub to recognise and boot the XP as well as Kubuntu.
    I don't want to reformat and reinstall both XP and Kubuntu if I can avoid it.
    Simple newbie directions would be appreciated if possible.
    PS> I got to stop my youngest son downloading games off dubious sites, I reckon that's what caused my problem in the first place.

Re: How do I save Kubuntu on a dual boot and reinstall XP? ( grubs etc)please

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
    SECTION 3: Re-installing GRUB: the cure for many problems.

You can do it from a live CD (or, actually, from anywhere).

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

THANX BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Sounds like you were successful, rovernaut.
        Hope so.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
          Hope so.

No I haven't tried it yet..... but thanking you for your time to provide all the info links.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
            Hope so.

Thanks again successful. important to leave that space after the word find "grub>find /boot......."
            All up an running again.
            In the past when I had problems I ended up doing a full restore.... I think I've done that about 7 times over the years of trying linux.
            :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
            6 easy comands was all it took. If I only asked before :P

Comment

Re: (FIXED)How do I save Kubuntu on a dual boot and reinstall XP? ( grubs etc)pl

Ah, yes, THE space ...
              So, you met the rascal "Unrecognized Command."

Good work getting it to go right!

Comment

Working...
              X