This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network server for Windows machines?

I installed Linux Kubuntu but now I have the next problem. When it was a windows XP machine all other computers in my house (3) printed true my machine to the Canon MX310 that is connected to this machine.

Now it's a Kubuntu machine and I have no Idea how to find this machine with the other XP and Vista machines.
    Linux beautiful to watch!<br />Kubuntu 10.4 with Canon MX310 in Samba network with Windows XP &amp; 7

Re: Network server for Windows machines?

samba.......sertch the forum for possts on samba.

it's the windows compatable fille and print server for linux

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks Vinny,

Unfortunatly I find a lot of Samba problems without sollutions. Is there a kind of wiki how to setup samba with windows and wifi?
      Linux beautiful to watch!<br />Kubuntu 10.4 with Canon MX310 in Samba network with Windows XP &amp; 7

Comment

IF wifi is working allredey and you have windows shares you can acsess them in dolphin .

Kubuntu coms with the samba client by default (to browes windows shares ) open dolphin click network in the places panel (hit F9 if it's not open ) and click samba .... you should now see your windows shares.

the wikie ....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_(software)

sorey I cant be of more help but I havent used it in a wile.

if you install the samba sever from the repos then you may be abel to share a folder by rite clicking it and clicking propertys and then share

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

O and hears a simpell samba.conf

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3104650.0

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

It's much easier to use ipp for sharing your printer. Open the cups interface at http://localhost:631 and open the Adminstration tab and under the server settings check the box to share Published printers. In windows go to the Printer page and choose to add a printer and select network printer. Use the search for network printers feature. Your printer should show in the list. Select it and install it, you will have to install the windows driver. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
              It's much easier to use ipp for sharing your printer. Open the cups interface at http://localhost:631 and open the Adminstration tab and under the server settings check the box to share Published printers. In windows go to the Printer page and choose to add a printer and select network printer. Use the search for network printers feature. Your printer should show in the list. Select it and install it, you will have to install the windows driver. That's it.
              This is indeed a more understandable software for beginners. Unfortunately my whole computer does not popup in the network ring of computers.... How do I make my computer visible for other computers

Comment

whole computer does not popup in the network ring of computers.... How do I make my computer visible for other computers
                You will have to install samba and configure the smb.conf for that. my simple example for that you can see above in the link vinny provided.

Samba is the guy that "talks" to windows and vice versa.
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Great so Linux is to difficult for me I really do not understand all that coding and editing.

Comment

Don't worry we were all there at one point.

That is what this forum is for, to ask, learn and enjoy the freedom of being able to do what you want and not what your system wants.
                    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                    X