This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permissions using live CD?

I'm trying to execute a program stored on a thumb drive using the Kubuntu live CD. It always says "Permission required" and aborts the process. When I've done this from an installed system it always works and asks for su password. There has been no su password assigned using the live CD, so what can I do here to get this process to execute?
    AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Re: Permissions using live CD?

If you're just clicking the mouse on a program that would normally need root privliges, try a sudo command for the same thing. It will force a option to enter a password I don't remember trying that from the live CD but some options might be:

[just hit the ENTER key -- no password]
    password=root
    password=password
    password=passwd
    password=user
    password=kubuntu

Keep trying!

Comment

Re: Permissions using live CD?

I figured it out. Since the files were copied to the drive under windows, I had to first mount the drive under linux, and then chmod +x the executables. After that it worked fine. In the past I've always copied the files under linux after I had given them executable permissions. Also I've never tried this using a live CD before.

Thanks!
      AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Comment

Working...
      X