X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New HD writing problem (Solved)

Hi

I have a problem with the format of a new HD that I have installed in my pc. I have already formated the HD, but I cant write on it, only read. I used Gparted to do it.
    How to solve this??
    Thank You

Re: New HD

Just a guess. Your user probably doesn't have permission to write to the drive. If such is the case, you will have to do one of the following:

Mount the drive with permissions for your user/group
    OR
    Change ownership of the drive to your user/group
    OR
    As root, create a folder on the drive and change ownership of the folder to your user/group

Undoubted there will be other suggestions to follow mine. Probably they will be even more helpful.

By the way, please consider making the title on your thread more descriptive of your problem. That way you are more likely to get well informed responses.
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Re: New HD

How you formatted it will be could be an issue also.

NTFS is seen as a MSWin drive and will deny write permissions (without root password).
      ext4 may not be compatable with your kernel.

Formatting a drive is actually writing to it, so it is writeable from a physical standpoint.

Comment

Re: New HD writing problem

Hi

@Telengard

That's what I have being looking for, but how to change ther permissions??
        By the way, I have changed the topic tittle

@AlphaLexman
        I have formated using ext4 file type. I will try ext3.

Thank You booth.

Comment

hay larbac

let me ask you a Q .....when you open dolphin dose your drives show on the left side in the places panel?............hit F9 if not to show the places panel............now click the drive in queshton and enter your pasword .........now you should be abel to do watever you want!!

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi Vinny

I have formatted to ext3 again with Gparted. Rebooted the system to mount the disk.
            The disk appears when I open Dolphin. I click on it, it asks me my password, everything ok. When I try to copy or move a file into it, it says:

Access Denied. Cannot write into /media/disk....

I don't know what else to do.
            These things in Micro**** don't happens, but I'll go back to that

Any help is apreciated.
            Thanks

Comment

@larbac -- with root privileges, make a directory (aka "folder") on that disk:

Code:
              sudo mkdir /media/disk MUSIC
              Then use dolphin in root mode, Alt-F2 kdesudo dolphin

browse to the new folder, right-click on it, open the permissions tab, change owner to larbac and group to users.

Now close dolphin and then open dolphin in your normal user mode, and see if you can save data into it.

root owns all devices, but users can own directories and files.

Comment

Hi Dibl

I have done what you said, but when I go to the permissions to change them I get this:

It was not possible to start the process. It was not possible to comunicate with klauncher: The name org.kde.klauncher was not provided by any .service files.

What now??

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by larbac
                  It was not possible to start the process. It was not possible to comunicate with klauncher: The name org.kde.klauncher was not provided by any .service files.
                  This doesn't sound like a permissions problem anymore.
                  Welcome newbies!
                  Verify the ISO
                  Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
                    This doesn't sound like a permissions problem anymore.
                    But when I try to write something there, it's says that it cannot do it...

Damn, that's strange...

Comment

How are you mounting this new drive? I think we need to hear more about the drive -- internal, external, SATA, USB -- what's the deal there? What is the interface to the computer, what is the mount point, and what mount options are you giving it?

Comment

Hi Dibl

I have done what you said, but when I go to the permissions to change them I get this:

What now??

Thanks
                        I have seen that error message when attempting to run dolphin as root.

Use konqueror instead. Hit Alt+F2 and Type kdesudo konqueror and follow the rest of dibls instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                          Hi Dibl

What now??

Thanks
                          I have seen that error message when attempting to run dolphin as root.

Use konqueror instead. Hit Alt+F2 and Type kdesudo konqueror and follow the rest of dibls instructions.
                          OK, I will try it and then give you guys the feed back,. Thanks

Comment

Hi guys

The problem is solved thanks for the tip of you all, specially to Liquidator.
                            Every day that passes, more I like to work with Linux, AKA Kubuntu

Thank You Again

Comment

Working...
                            X