This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Updates "blocked" and "kept back"

In Kpackage it tells me four updates have been "blocked". In a console I get.....

The following packages have been kept back:
    linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
    linux-restricted-modules-generic
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
    What do I need to do to install them? Or do I not need to install them?

Thanks

Re: Updates "blocked" and "kept back"

Are you using the Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope ?

Do you have the "jaunty-proposed" repository enabled ?

> FAQ: Repositories >> Ubuntu Backports
    -backports vs -proposed/-updates/-security

-Proposed is the testing area for -updates. A number of people must give positive feedback on these packages before they are allowed into -updates. This repository is recommended ONLY to people interested in helping to test updates and provide feedback. Since they are in effect testing updates, there is a higher chance of defective updates in this repository.

> FAQ: Package Managers >> APT HOWTO or/and man apt-get

man apt-get
    upgrade

upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or packages not already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without changing the install status of another package will be left at their current version. An update must be performed first so that apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.

dist-upgrade

dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if necessary. So, dist-upgrade command may remove some packages....

Examples with the JJ, proposed enabled

Simulation, upgrade:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -s upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages have been kept back:
    linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic linux-restricted-modules-generic

Simulation, dist-upgrade:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -s dist-upgrade
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed
    linux-headers-2.6.28-13 linux-headers-2.6.28-13-generic linux-image-2.6.28-13-generic
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.28-13-generic
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Enabling the "jaunty-proposed repository" causes a further 38 updates to appear in the list, but the same four are still blocked.

Comment

I had the same problem today, four updates blocked. Was yours also the linux-kernel-2.6.28-13 images that were blocked? I don't have the proposed repository enabled, just the defaults (important security updates and recommended updates). It seems we're not alone.

What I did was follow the advice from Linux Archive, which isn't particularly newbie-friendly. Type in the Terminal/Konsole (K Menu > Applications > System):
        sudo aptitude update

<wait for the command to finish>
        sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

Then type 'Y' when asked about the packages to install (you can check with KPackagekit if the blocked ones are part of it).

PS: I would disable the jaunty-proposed repository, as it is meant primarily for testers.

Comment

Re: Updates &quot;blocked&quot; and &quot;kept back&quot;

Ah, thanks Liberalist. That worked a treat. I'm fully updated and have closed down the "proposed" repo.

Much obliged to you

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Updates &quot;blocked&quot; and &quot;kept back&quot;

Thank you. Just what I was looking for.

It seems that I only need to run this to get updated:

Code:
            sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
            KeyboardShortcuts.org | CouponCodeSwap.com

Comment

Had the same problem with kpackagekit too.
              6 blocked updates linux-generic, image, etc and 2 amarok.

sudo aptitude update

and

solved my problem too. thnx guys

Comment

Also Adept will update linux-kernel-2.6.28-13 which KPackagekit shows as being blocked

Comment

Also Synaptic will update packages blocked by KPackagekit. It's an KPackagekit error.
                  Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

The latest round of kernel updates were not blocked. Perhaps this has been fixed...
                    Last edited by undoIT; Jan 25, 2013, 01:43 PM.
                    KeyboardShortcuts.org | CouponCodeSwap.com

Comment

Re: Updates &quot;blocked&quot; and &quot;kept back&quot;

Originally posted by liberalist

What I did was follow the advice from Linux Archive, which isn't particularly newbie-friendly. Type in the Terminal/Konsole (K Menu > Applications > System):
                      sudo aptitude update

<wait for the command to finish>

Then type 'Y' when asked about the packages to install (you can check with KPackagekit if the blocked ones are part of it).
                      I had the same problem and this solved my problem too. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Originally posted by undoIT
                        Thank you. Just what I was looking for.

It seems that I only need to run this to get updated:

Code:
                        sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                        sudo apt-get update refreshes your cache with the changes that have occured in the repository since you last did an update. It's always a good idea to to an update before you upgrade.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Also Synaptic will update packages blocked by KPackagekit. It's an KPackagekit error.
                          Not really, apt-get does show the same info on konsole... I just told apt-get to install all those apps or libs by entering sudo apt-get install <name all those packages>
                          Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                          Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                          Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                          Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides
                            Not really, apt-get does show the same info on konsole... I just told apt-get to install all those apps or libs by entering sudo apt-get install <name all those packages>
                            I use Synaptic for that for several months. I think who likes GUI uses Synaptic, who likes shell uses apt-get.
                            During that time I found that blocked updates of a new kernel are useful in some cases and maybe are not an error of KPackagekit.
                            When you have compiled drivers by yourself and run an update, you must compile again. So sometimes is better wait with update.
                            Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by zahtar
                              Had the same problem with kpackagekit too.
                              6 blocked updates linux-generic, image, etc and 2 amarok.

sudo aptitude update
                              and

solved my problem too. thnx guys
                              Same exact scenario here guys,...
                              thanks for the easy explanation.
                              This was a quick and easy troubleshooting experience.
                              Totally enjoyable and pain free as long as you can copy/paste into Konsole...

My Mandriva/PCLinuxOS using friends recommended I use Kubuntu instead just for this very reason.
                              Type the string "kubuntu 9.04 kpackagekit 4 blocked updates" into Google and youre bound to find a Buntu answer in less than 2mins online.
                              Sweet.

My 8 yr old and I were at my dad's this evening and he's the one
                              who proudly typed it in the two sudo commands in his granpa's Konsole and fixed it for him.
                              Of course, my dad loves to just watch the software updates on his desktop and
                              says "And you say it's free? Amazing." each time.

Yup dad it is, and there's a new one just a few days away.

Comment

Working...
                              X