X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 9.04 Rox.. Newb having some troubles with Java/Firefox at UCO

Hey guys,

Im totally new to Linux. Ive been a ME for about 15 years.. used to program old school code. Also did most computer work in DOS, laf. I finally got off the MS pole and jumped in with Jaunty. After a few hurdles, Ive got about 95% of everything I need running great. (My CAD software isnt going to happen without virtual box or something like that, but no biggie)

Heres my problem. I attend the University of Central OK. To use their wireless network, it runs something called Nortel Health agent as soon as you open a browser. It worked fine with IE.. It wont work with my Firefox 3. (It says it works with Firefox and Linux)
    The school system does pop up a note stating that if you are having issues with Java 6 in Linux, try switching to Java 5. I went though the sudo aptitude command and installed Java 5 and the plugin. When I run Java tester in FF, it still shows the java 6 version. How can I get Java 5 working instead??

Thanks for any help you can provide, and Hello to everyone!
    (So far Im loving being MS free!!!)

Re: Kubuntu 9.04 Rox.. Newb having some troubles with Java/Firefox at UCO

You might want to take a look at the "Browser ID" function in Konqueror, in which you can get it to pretend to be IE 6 or whatever you need it to be. It's been awhile since I used it (I do like Firefox), but it can come in very handy in a situation like yours.

Settings > Configure Konqueror > Browser Identification.

Comment

Alternatively in the repositories there is the package user agent switcher which is basically a ubuntu package of the firefox extension of the same name.

One installed, you will find it in FF in the tools menu. Select IE7 in vista and I suspect the issue will go away. Sad I know but needed sometimes.

Comment

...Or find the computer experts, the people who put up the system, at the University and ask them what you can do...
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks for the help! Ill try the configure konquerer first, I had no idea that option was in there

Comment

Working...
          X