This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't write to ~/.ICEauthority

So today I couldn't log into KDE4, it said it couldn't write to ~/.ICEauthority. So, I just used SSH on my other comp to log into kubuntu and issued
    Code:
    sudo chmod 777 ~/.ICEauthority
    Any that worked and now I can log into KDE4, but I would like to know what this file is for and why I couldn't write to it?
    Registered Linux User 545823

Re: Can't write to ~/.ICEauthority

Yep.

Question and answer are both here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/mis...authority.html

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin
      So today I couldn't log into KDE4, it said it couldn't write to ~/.ICEauthority. So, I just used SSH on my other comp to log into kubuntu and issued
      Code:
      sudo chmod 777 ~/.ICEauthority
      Any that worked and now I can log into KDE4, but I would like to know what this file is for and why I couldn't write to it?
      I'd recommend swiching file ownership back to you (from root) with 'chown' rather than changing the permissions with 'chmod'

Comment

I read the link you were given, and I see that it talks about using sudo on Kde programs while running Gnome. My experience has shown me that the problem can just as easily arise when using Kde. I have come across this issue when using sudo when I should have been using kdesudo in terminal. That is, running programs such as Kate, Dolphin, and other default Kde packages.

Comment

Working...
        X