This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please help soon

right now I'm waiting to find out what happens when you download kubuntu or ubuntu dose it still have to download the drivers? or does it do that during the installation ? and when it is downloading the drivers can you use wireless or dose it have to be ethernet? sorry i had so many questions! thanks!

Re: please help soon

During installation most devices are detected and properly configured.

Most video chips are given acceleration and 3D capabilities.
    Ethernet connections are configured by DHCP automatically if they are connected to a wireless router or lan.
    Wireless routers usually require that you enter a name and password to activate them.

Basically, it depends on your hardware. Most work, some don't.

Download the iso (32 or 64 bit, depending on your hardware) and check its md5 sum to verify the download was good. Then burn the iso using DAO or TAO and 10x or less in speed.

Boot the LiveCD. It won't harm your HD and it will give you a good idea as to how your hardware will work.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Once it is downloaded,

Burn as an ISO to a CDROM. Boot this CDROM and choose to install. All the standard drivers will be loaded.

Yeah, its that easy.
      Lenovo Thinkpad R60<br />Intel T5600 Core2Duo Processor @ 1.83Ghz<br />AD198x Intel Soundcard | NetXtreme BCM5751M Ethernet PCI express<br />Pro/wireless 3945ABG<br />1 GB RAM | 1024x768 Resolution | 1 X 80 GB SATA HD Internal<br />945GM/GMS,943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.04 w/KDE 4.2.2

Comment

I would ensure that you download the desktop CD image so that you can do a test run without installing it. That way you don't install it only to find you are unhappy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by melonade
          right now I'm waiting to find out what happens when you download kubuntu or ubuntu dose it still have to download the drivers? or does it do that during the installation ? and when it is downloading the drivers can you use wireless or dose it have to be ethernet? sorry i had so many questions! thanks!

A lot of these can be answered in the FAQs linked in my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by tboxmy
            Once it is downloaded,

Burn as an ISO to a CDROM. Boot this CDROM and choose to install. All the standard drivers will be loaded.

Yeah, its that easy.
            so is the iso file less than 700mb?because thats how much me cds can hold... or do i need to get a blank DVD ?

Comment

Yes, they are CD ISO images, so they will fit on a blank CD ROM. Follow #1 in my FAQs to burn it.

Comment

695.8 Mib
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X