This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu does not load properly

When I startup my computer, I get to the login screen just fine, but when I login, I am taken to a blank screen with nothing but a cursor. When I tried to sign in using failsafe mode, I get this error message:

Xsession: unable to launch failsafe X session --- x-terminal-emulator not found; aborting.

I can still do a console login, but I am still too new with linux to understand what I'm doing there.

If anyone can explain what is wrong/how to fix it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Kubuntu does not load properly

when you log in at a console type .... startx ...... and see what hapens .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Same thing. It just loads a blank screen. The cursor is still there and this time it was a black X, but it doesn't do me much good with a blank screen.

Comment

is this a installed system or a livecd?

and witch ver.

+ some specks for your box like cpu, ram, vid card.

and ware did you get the cd download and burn or mail.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

1. Try to test the CDROM, if it is ok on other machines.

2. Do you have enough disk space? Check if you need more.
          Lenovo Thinkpad R60<br />Intel T5600 Core2Duo Processor @ 1.83Ghz<br />AD198x Intel Soundcard | NetXtreme BCM5751M Ethernet PCI express<br />Pro/wireless 3945ABG<br />1 GB RAM | 1024x768 Resolution | 1 X 80 GB SATA HD Internal<br />945GM/GMS,943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.04 w/KDE 4.2.2

Comment

When you start the machine, just after the bios post, if you also have windows installed you will see a menu which will show

Kubuntu
            Kubuntu recovery mode
            windows

If you only have kubuntu, it will look like it's booting straight away. At this point hit the escape key and you will see your list of boot options.

Choose recovery mode. After loading modules (look carefully for error messages which might be useful later) you will come to a menu. There are 2 important options to try. One is dpkg, which you can use to fix any broken packages and another one will fix the x server. Both are clearly marked and you should run both options. After that select the option that refers to normal bootup (or something like that). Any joy?

Comment

Working...
            X