Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New installation of Hardy Heron and.. the Keyboard has escaped !

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New installation of Hardy Heron and.. the Keyboard has escaped !

After solving the screen challenge with the help of this Forum, the keyboard works fine for password during logging in but stops dead when the desktop is reached !

Behaves like its not plugged in ! Numeric Pad led does not turn on and off when 'Num Lock ' is pressed.

I've swapped from a USB keyboard to a ps2 keyboard and powered off and powered on again so its not a hardware error.

I've tested the usb keyboard and it fine.

The mouse works fine !

Is it a re-install ?

Any thoughts very very welcome !

Tim

Re: New installation of Hardy Heron and.. the Keyboard has escaped !

Hi Tim

So you can't type anything while you are running?

Sounds like xorg might have a problem. Restart your computer and at the grub prompt select recovery mode. You will be root user at this point. At the prompt type:

Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    You will then be taken through the xorg configuration during which you will also be asked to configure your keyboard. Other than setting the region of your keyboard you should be able to accept the defaults. When that is finished type

Code:
    startx
    and you should be taken through to kde bootup. Test the keyboard. Beware though 'cos you are running as root at that stage and you will want to logout and login as you asap.

If that doesn't fix it then I have to ask whether there is something more deep-rooted

Ian

Comment

Hi Ian,

I've re-installed it from scratch, this time avoiding updates like the plague.

Currently it working fine (well it lasted 12 hours before) and I'll clone the drive later today.

Your solution is far better and more elegant but its replacing Judy's knackered Mac so I had to do a fix a bit swiftish to say the least ! *LOL*

Many thanks for the tips !

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
        Hi Tim

So you can't type anything while you are running?

Sounds like xorg might have a problem. Restart your computer and at the grub prompt select recovery mode. You will be root user at this point. At the prompt type:

Code:
        dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
        You will then be taken through the xorg configuration during which you will also be asked to configure your keyboard. Other than setting the region of your keyboard you should be able to accept the defaults. When that is finished type

Code:
        startx
        and you should be taken through to kde bootup. Test the keyboard. Beware though 'cos you are running as root at that stage and you will want to logout and login as you asap.
        <snip>
        Ian
        Is this appropriate advice if just one key (my up arrow key) does not work? It is the most bizarre thing, the up arrow key only does not work, but the up arrow on the keypad does work if the numlock is off. Also the up arrow works if I ssh -X from a remote connection. I did not know where to start, but this sounds like it should work.

Comment

No in those circumstances I suspect it would not be the right advice, if everything else is working.

My first port of call would be kmenu/ system settings/regional and language (assuming KDE4) just to make sure you've got the right keyboard settings as that can make a difference.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Liquidator, but I found the trouble elsewhere. I am not sure why this is the case, but the default keybinding for the Plasma Workspace to "Activate Folder View Widget" is "Up" (In SystemSettings>Keyboard & Mouse>Global Keyboard Shortcuts). I Set this to Custom "None" and my problems went away. My system is Jaunty, and maybe this is a new default setting that could annoy some people.
            Best Regards,
            rm

Comment

Interesting. Glad you found a solution to your problem

Comment

Working...
              X