This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu inside Windows?

Hi! Just installed 9.0.4, choosing the "install inside Windows" option (Vista Home Premium SP2); didn't get any error messages, and can boot into Kubuntu, but can't find a K/Ubuntu executable in Programs, the Windows Start Menu, or in the C:\ubuntu directory which was created - what gives: is this a not-yet-implemented feature? Thanks!

Re: Kubuntu inside Windows?

No, kubuntu is an operating system totally different from windows. The "install inside windows" option means, that kubuntu is installed on a virtual partition rather than on a normal one, but will still act as a standalone operating system, you have to choose it at startup. You can, however, run many of the kubuntu applications on your windows machine, for example for all kde apps (dolphin, kate, kopete...) check out windows.kde.org
    Or, install a virtual machine in your windows and install kubuntu into it. That way you will have both OSs running at the same time.

Comment

The latter option is what I want (and what I thought I was getting) - so, how do I do it? Thanks!

Comment

Well, you can for example install virtualbox. I do not know the exact steps, as I have never done it. Just download virtualbox or any other virtual machine. Working with it shouldn't be hard.
        However, running kubuntu (or any other OS) in a virtual machine will lower its performance.

Comment

Here's guidance for VMWare:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3095339.0

Comment

Originally posted by cleb
            However, running kubuntu (or any other OS) in a virtual machine will lower its performance.
            Well aware. Thanks!

Comment

The solution linked by dibl above should work well for you, and I recommend you give it a try.

Just in case VMware isn't exactly what you want, there is an alternative: VirtualBox.

Since June 2007, I personally used VirtualBox to run Kubuntu inside a window on my Windows XP desktop, including Edgy, Feisty, and Hardy. I've since installed Hardy on my main computer, and it has become my primary full time OS. There are other VirtualBox users here in the Kubuntu forums, but there is also support available in the VirtualBox user forums.

Anyway, do try dibl's suggestion first.
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by cleb

True, but not necessarily by a noticeable amount. I carefully benchmarked a native Win XP installation on my hardware, running a complex MS Visual FoxPro database application, and then the exact same Win XP and database installed in a VM on Kubuntu on the same hardware platform. There were no differences in the software or the hardware, only the fact that one was a direct installation and the other was on a VM. The measured performance in a series of operations was 95% as fast on the VM as on the direct hardware.

Of course, you cannot run graphics-based operations (games, for example) on the OS in a VM and get the same performance that you will get on the hardware with a proper driver installed. That is the type of application where the VM will suffer in performance, compared to the direct installation on the hardware.

Comment

I'm sure there are Kubuntu VMware images (or appliances) ready to go that can be downloaded and run within Windows
                  eMachines E520 notebook, 2ghz celeron, 3gb RAM, 160gb HDD, etc... woot.com special with no Microsoft tax running Kubuntu 9.04 beautifully

Comment

There are pre-installed Linux images for VirtualBox too: http://virtualboximages.com
                    Corresponding thread in the VirtualBox user forums.
                    How to get started

It's actually a great idea for new users who don't want to install Kubuntu directly on their host machine. Dunno why I didn't remember this right away .
                    Welcome newbies!
                    Verify the ISO
                    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Thanks, all! FTR: I noted that I can boot into Kubuntu, and "long-term" that is the way I intend to use it, but I like the flexibility (which I was frankly surprised to learn that I'd have - I went into this thinking that I'd have to boot into one or the other and thus reboot every time I wanted to switch, so this is "icing") of being able to go between them as easily as changing which window I'm looking at, and right now I hope to leverage that to figure out why Kubuntu can't login to my wireless router, i.e., you may soon be seeing another thread from me. Thanks again!

Comment

are you trying to get kubuntu to use wireless through a virtual machine?

within a virtualized environment, the guest OS will only see the virtual (wired) adapter that then just uses the connection that the host OS already has active

I don't think there is a way around that, maybe if its a USB adapter?
                        eMachines E520 notebook, 2ghz celeron, 3gb RAM, 160gb HDD, etc... woot.com special with no Microsoft tax running Kubuntu 9.04 beautifully

Comment

Working...
                        X