This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disable upgrade notifier

I upgraded to Jaunty and it broke my wireless.
    A mistake in hindsight, I was perfectly happy with my Intrepid install - I had everything working perfectly and set up the way I wanted it.
    So I reinstalled Intrepid and configured everything again.

I am happy to update whenever the notifier icon appears in the system tray.
    However the icon is appearing at every startup asking me if I want to upgrade to the latest version of Kubuntu.
    Can anyone advise me on how to keep the update notifier running for updates, but to switch off notification for upgrade?

I would also like to switch the update notifier option off altogether for secondary user accounts...

Re: Disable upgrade notifier

I'm too lazy to boot my Sony Vaio that's running KDE 3.5 so I'll explain how to disable it in 9.04. The process may be a little different in Intrepid. In Jaunty, you can disable update notifications by going to System Settings/Notifications. For Event Source pick KPackageKit, then disable the sound and message pop-up for the New updates available event. Disabling for everyone will require you to update some rc file. I have never been able to find any good documentation on application rc files and their settings. Your best bet might be a KDE IRC channel where developers hang out. When I disabled mine, KDE created the kpackagekit-smart-icon.notifyrc file in my ~/.kde/share/config directory. When I enabled it again the file was still there but it did update the contents. Notice the Sound|Popup string for Action under the [Event/ShowUpdates] section. When I disabled it there was no value for Action. You could probably duplicate this file and copy it to the default KDE config directory. The exact path escapes me at the moment but it's the default rc files copied from a system directory when a new user is created.

[Event/AutoInstallingUpdates]
    Execute=
    KTTS=
    Logfile=
    Sound=

[Event/ShowUpdates]
    Action=Sound|Popup
    Execute=
    KTTS=
    Logfile=
    Sound=

Cheers, UK