Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KpackageKit does not show applications (Kubuntu 9.04)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KpackageKit does not show applications (Kubuntu 9.04)

I can't get the software manager to show any applications or descriptions like Synaptic and Adept have in the past with my only occasional use of Kubuntu and Ubuntu.

Is it malfunctioning? am I making some mistake because I have left it on default settings (and checked that it is set to use both repositories?)

I have searched hi and low and it seams like nobody has had this problem and the closest I can find is a FAQ on how to install it.

Re: KpackageKit does not show applications (Kubuntu 9.04)

Well, it's no secret that KPackageKit is Not There Yet (TM), but you should still get something. For me, I can start up KPackageKit on my Jaunty laptop, type "adept" into the search field, hit enter and eight packages pop up (the other 7 are because I have the kde3 repo enabled and adept was broken up into several packages for it). Now, when I expand each result then it's wonky, since the "Description" field is blank, as is the "Depends on" and "Required by" (the "File List" tab works though). This holds case for every package; however, I still do get the results when I search for them. I don't see how one might get just a raw unfiltered list though.

Personally I got fed up with KPackageKit, although that might be too strong of a phrase since I'm quite content to wait and there's tons of alternatives that one can still use (Adept 3.0beta4 for KDE4, Adept 2.1.3 for KDE3, Synaptic, aptitude, apt-get....)

Comment

synaptic seams to work best for me......out of the GUI ver.of kpackegekit, adept and synaptic

the comandline apt-get allwase works though.......

get synaptic

Code:
      sudo apt-get install synaptic
      8)

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

What I mean to say is that without entering a name to search, and being a Gnu/Linux/bash noob I don't know the name of most of the software I would be interested in.

I have tried wildcards and I get nothing.

Shouldn't be a firewall issue as it is the same as before, but just in case, does anybody have the port info for me to forward?

Comment

Originally posted by WolvenSpectre
          What I mean to say is that without entering a name to search, and being a Gnu/Linux/bash noob I don't know the name of most of the software I would be interested in.

I have tried wildcards and I get nothing.

Shouldn't be a firewall issue as it is the same as before, but just in case, does anybody have the port info for me to forward?
          I repete get synaptic....................It has a nice GUI ...on the left side lots of subcatagoreys that show the programs in the mane window when clicked.
          you can choose from eney catagorey or all and scrole thrue them for howers.

clicking on an intersting looking program gives the detales in the lower pane of the mane window to tell you what it dose.

then if you like it you just click the check box next to it and click apply and thats it if thare are dependices to meet your asked if it's ok and add's them to.......no prob.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
          X