This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draper Drake install hangs

This is an install problem but I have put it in here as I am a newbie so I am unsure of queite what the people in the install forum are meaning.

I downloaded Kubuntu to try and install over my current SuSe 10 install [64 bit, installed and run fine, previously had mandriva 64bit which installed ok, but would not boot with usb stuff connected but otherwise was fine]

I have checked the disc and it appears to be fine, but on trying to install the first progress bar install goes fine; things get oked the bar fills. The screen then goes black with a small cursor for a few secons, then some text flashed up for less than a second [so I can not tell you what it says] another progress bar appears but fails to fill and nothing gets oked, there is no hard drive activity and after about 1 minute the cd drive stops.

I have also tried ubuntu Draper Drake, both isos were downloaded yesterday. but got a similar problem as below, sorry its bloated, its cut a cut and pasted post from another forum,

I downloaded the latest version from ubuntu.com's listed Uk mirror [64 bit version] and tried to install. The install seemed to be going ok, the black background with the orange ubuntu and progress bar with the list of stuff that gets OKed went fine but when this finished I got a blinking cursor at the top left of the screen for a few seconds then a dialogue came up [grey box black writing blue background] saying something to do with the graphics something or other failing to start Do I want to diagnose the problem. Almost instantly <1second some command propt stuff that stretches off the screen on both sides comes down and any keystrokes go into it so I can not Yes the dialogue box.

[sorry I am unsure of the exact content of the box as that part of the screen is heavily obscured by the command line text]

I tried in failsafe graphics mode and this time it got to the blinking cursor before the screen turned onto standby. I waited about 15 minute but noting seemed to be happenening.

I have checked the disc and all the sums add up, If anyone has any suggestions would be grateful.

I was told to try putting xmodule=ati at the end of the boot options line - this failed to have any effect.

This post here http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=5441.0 seems relevent, but I do not know how to do what the resplies suggest.

Sorry for the long post, trying to give as much detail as possible

Thanks for any help you can give

Re: Draper Drake install hangs

I have had exactly the same problem as you when trying to install on a Dell Poweredge 4400 server. My next step will be to try and download the alternate CD iso, this is a text mode installer (if I'm not mistaken) where problematic Xserver settings (hopefully) won't come into play. Our infrastructure is a bit behind the US, so to download a CD takes a couple of days.

If you have the available bandwidth, maybe you can try that?

Good luck

Comment

I will give it a go. Thanks for the idea.

Just need to wait till I get a chance to download when I am not around so wont be annoyed by my stupidly noisy pc.

Comment

I had a similar problem with hoary...

From the textual installer (non-grahical), try using the following install option:

linux noapic nolapic

Comment

Working...
        X