This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strip audio from an mp4 video

I have some mp4 video files and would like to take only the audio and convert it to an mp3 file so i can listen to the audio in an mp3 player. How can I do this?

Re: Strip audio from an mp4 video

One way to do it

> Avidemux

Package: avidemux-qt (or avidemux, gtk version)

If the mp4 has an mp3 audio: Audio = copy and Audio > Save...

If the mp4 audio needs conversion: Audio = MP3 (lame) and Audio > Save...

More > MPEG-4 Part 14 (MP4)
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks Rog131 that did exactly what I wanted. Now what program will break the mp3 file I created into several shorter ones? The mp3 is a 2 hour long audio but I would like to split it into several shorter sections.

Comment

Originally posted by heylookitsmewow
        Thanks Rog131 that did exactly what I wanted. Now what program will break the mp3 file I created into several shorter ones? The mp3 is a 2 hour long audio but I would like to split it into several shorter sections.
        I think Audacity can do that .......you mite want this if you havent yet.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Now what program will break the mp3 file I created into several shorter ones? The mp3 is a 2 hour long audio but I would like to split it into several shorter sections.

a) Avidemux. Save the audio into short pieces (from the original mp4).

There is a slider at the bottom of the Avidemux window and letters "A" and "B". The "A" will set the start point and the "B" will set the stop point.

b) Use the mp3 splitters, one of them > HOW TO merge or split mp3 files

c) As the "vinnywright" suggested there is the Audacity. More options > Audio editors, some of them can edit the mp3's.

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Actually I spoke too soon. Avidemux did create an mp3 file but it is choppy and distorted when i use the mp3 lame setting. When I use "copy" it creates a file that my mp3 player can't read. Is there some way I can solve either of these problems?

Comment

Originally posted by heylookitsmewow
              Actually I spoke too soon. Avidemux did create an mp3 file but it is choppy and distorted when i use the mp3 lame setting. When I use "copy" it creates a file that my mp3 player can't read. Is there some way I can solve either of these problems?
              realey I couldent get it to load a mp4........well I onley tryed 1.......but I hapend to have some slipknot mp4's laying around I think someone made them it's musick and a visualasation.

eneyway I found someting caled soundKonverter in my multymedea apps and it happeley made a mp3 out of it. and kept all the metadata
              now I dont have a mp3 player to test it on but amarock played it fine and report's it as mp3 as dose everything elce.

now I'v added every thing (almost)frome the medeabuntu repos hear.........
              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

so if you havent you mite want to

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

I got it to work with wavepad with wine. It always worked great on windows and didn't think of trying it on wine but it works just the same.

Comment

There is one more possibility no one mentioned - command line program ffmpeg from repository, with a lot of options but no splitting. See http://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-doc.html
                  Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by josefko
                    There is one more possibility no one mentioned - command line program ffmpeg from repository, with a lot of options but no splitting. See http://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-doc.html
                    this has a GUI frunt end called winff .............allso in the repo's

never used it even though it's in my apps. .......the gui looks like it's basickley for vid (default is to convert a file to DVD ntsc wide screen BUT audo was in the options.

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                    X