X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot run eclipse under Kubuntu

Hi,
    I have installed java in kubuntu and have downloaded Eclipse tar archive. I have tried to run eclipse from konsole, but ig gives me an error:
    A Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK)
    must be available in order to run Eclipse. No Java virtual machine
    was found after searching the following locations:
    /home/alex/eclipse/jre/bin/java
    java in your current PATH
    Here is the echo $JAVA_HOME:

/home/alex/SDK/jdk

the $PATH is
    /home/alex/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/home/alex/SDK/jdk/bin

and java -version is
    java version "1.6.0_13"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_13-b03)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 11.3-b02, mixed mode)

Can anybody help me with this problem?
    Looking forward to your reply.

Re: Cannot run eclipse under Kubuntu

hmmm...not sure, it just works for me...I use it to work on PHP stuff...try installing kubuntu-restricted-extras, and see if that works...if not, I'll send you a list of packages that I install on a new install, to see if that helps.

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Instead of downloading the Eclipse tarball and installing the hard way, you can get Eclipse from the *buntu repositories. It may be a build or two behind the latest and greatest, but it's been tested to work with the libraries in your version of the OS.

Also, please define the "Java" that you installed? Did that come the *buntu repositories or was it another tarball?

Comment

I used the tarball because I couldn't figure out how to install the PHP plugins...also, it's precompiled, and like I said, it just worked for me.

mm0
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

If you have something similar to the following in your .bashrc file it should work fine.

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
          export PATH=${PATH}:${JAVA_HOME}/bin

I also run the latest eclipse, not the one from the repository.

UK

linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Comment

I have found the solution:
            sudo aptitude install eclipse
            After Eclipse was installed, it works fine.
            I cannot imagine where the problem was.

Comment

Originally posted by medalex
              I have found the solution:
              sudo aptitude install eclipse
              After Eclipse was installed, it works fine.
              I cannot imagine where the problem was.
              Probably some obscure dependency, or some (K)Ubuntu-specific background configuration that the version in the repositories had that the tarball didn't do; this is why using the package manager is always the way to go if at all possible

Comment

I don't think it was an obscure dependency or background configuration. I think it was a Java mis-configuration that was fixed when the repository version of Eclipse was installed. I had no problems running the latest Eclipse once Java was configured correctly. There's a good chance, because the system uses Java (Kubuntu seems to prefer GCJ which I got rid of on my system), you must deal with update-alternatives. I had to use it so I could rid my system of GCJ and force it to use Sun Java. I linked a good write-up on using update-alternatives to configure Java on a Debian system like (K)ubuntu. It's useful for other languages too.

http://blog.stevenkroon.com/2006/08/...-alternatives/

UK
                linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Comment

Working...
                X