Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 9.04 configuring internet connection (network interface)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 9.04 configuring internet connection (network interface)

Hello everyone,

Can you help me with configuring manual internet connection with static IP in Kubuntu 9.04.

In system settings/network window when I want to create a new connection, there's a column 'netmask prefix' if I understand that correctly that should be netmask. But after I type in 255.255.255.0 and enter that window againd there's only zero there?!?

What if I want to type in two DNSes?? Do I separate IP addresses with colon or semicolon or space or what?

I tried to edit: /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf files and restarting networking but:

1. Nothing happens (network window is not showing any created connections)
    2. There was no file resolv.conf in etc directory? (So I just created one) Why is that?

Also, can somebody point me how can I check if my network card driver and for that matter any other device is installed?

Re: Kubuntu 9.04 configuring internet connection (network interface)

Your system has network-manager and a kde applet or plasmoid to work with it installed by default. That will control your network and make all changes to /etc/network/interfaces useless. For static ethernet you want to use ifupdown (configured in /etc/network/interfaces) so in a terminal run
    Code:
    sudo aptitude purge network-manager
    Then the interface you configure in interfaces will start on boot and you can bring it up or down with "ifup eth0" or "ifdown eth0". You can specify nameservers in the interfaces file also, or you can manually edit /etc/resolv.conf. With one static ethernet /etc/network/interfaces might look like
    Code:
    auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
      address 192.168.0.200
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      broadcast 192.168.0.255
      network 192.168.0.0
      gateway 192.168.0.100
      dns-nameservers 192.168.0.3 192.168.0.100
    Do not remove the loopback address, and the auto line is needed to get the interface to come up on boot.
    Code:
    lspci
    will show you what hardware is installed in your system and
    Code:
    lsmod
    will show you which kernel modules are loaded. Most hardware drivers are kernel modules, although not all modules are hardware drivers. You might find the modinfo command usefull such as
    Code:
    modinfo intel_agp

Comment

If you follow my instructions here, you should be able to accomplish what you want.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0

Comment

Mando_hacker, Detonate ... Thanx guys. Respect. Now things make much more sense..

KDE gives me so much pain.. My experience is: GNOME always works out of the box, KDE asks for alot of sweat.. But I'm just stuborn not to give up on it... Just because of: Krusader, Kate, Kile and the fact that I love it

8.o4 gave me so much headache for not listening to fstab for automatic mounting of partitions on boot, just randomly after some system update, and it would just come back on again after another.. So it was really dissapointing after upgrading to 9.04 that the *very* first thing I wanted to do made me realize again how newbie I really am..

Nevertheless, it's really great to see new KDE and also OOo and Firefox completely integrated into the looks.. Fantastic 8)

Comment

Working...
        X