X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant install on OEM laptop

Hi

I am new to Liunx and wanted to install Kubuntu on my Oem Netbook,

I cant install it for some reason and hoped someone would have an answer or a solution for me!

I boot my computer and the installation begins and i choose the language and then choose 'Try kubuntu without any change to your computer'. and then it goes on the loading screen for a little while and then the screen goes fuzzy black and white sort of like the old Video Cassetes. then the fuzzy screen turns blue after a few minutes and then its stuck on that!

I hope someone can help me, thankyou to anyone who can help me.

Re: Cant install on OEM laptop

Hello and Welcome.

Instead of "Try kubuntu without any change to your computer", select Check CD for defects and see what it says.

Comment

Which Netbook do you have and in particular what graphics card has it got?

Comment

Hi

I ran the check for Cd defects and it said the CD was fine, so it must be something wrong with my computer. My laptop is OEM and has no brand. The graphics card is a VIA/S3G Unichrome Pro II. would that be the problem?

Comment

Here is some info on the card

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=270667

It would seem you need the openchrome driver which is available in the repositories and may be installed by default on later versions but may need configuring. I suspect that that fact might prevent operation of the CD on a live basis.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenChrome

What version of 'buntu are you trying to install?

Comment

Hi,

I had a look at those links but im not sure if they can help me because i cant even install Kubuntu 9.04, i select my language and select install and then it goes to the loading screen and then goes all black and white a pixelated. Im currently running the Windows 7 RC because i have only had the laptop for 3 days and it didnt come with an O/S

Comment

Can I suggest you load the CD again and try under the "safe graphics" mode? Unfortunately I am at work so I don't have access to my machine now, but I think "safe graphics" is one of the options in the main list.

Comment

Check out #2 on the FAQs in my signature.

Try pressing F4 "Safe Graphics" to run the Live CD. If that does not let it boot to the GUI desktop, then try pressing F6 and try the "noacpi" and "noapic" boot options -- there is surely a combination of boot options that will let it boot to the GUI, and you will need to know those to configure it post-installation.

Comment

Hi

thanks for your help, it now loads & installs, but now the O/s does not display properly on the screen and is too long for the screen and when i move the mouse, the screen moves and the left hand side of the screen moves to the right side and vice versa, so the center of the screen is the edge!

I hope someone can understand this? I am new to linux so maybe i need too do something or i need to get a driver?

Thankyou for all who take the time to help!

Comment

Press the 'K' menu logo, select ->System Settings, and navigate to ->Desktop ->Window Behaviour, select the 'Advanced' tab, and disable Active Desktop Borders.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for replying so quick. unfortunately that didnt help. i have encountered this problem before, when i tried a live version of Gos. I cant see the menu toolbar on the bottom of the screen, but when i make a window (such as the system settings window) full size it goes full size of the screen!

Comment

Hmmm...

Then instead of Advanced, on the same page (->Desktop ->Window Behaviour,) select the Moving tab, and enable Allow moving and re-sizing of maximised windows.

Maybe that will work.

Comment

So is the resolution set too high?

If so, try this: Hit alt+F2 which will throw up a run dialog box. Type kickoff and hit return. You should then see the kmenu. Select system settings and then the monitor option.

Setting the monitor to the correct resolution ought to solve it.

Comment

Haha i feel ridiculous! why did i not think of that in the first place!

it worked. thankyou all for helping me!

Comment

Assuming it was the resolution don't feel that way at all.

I can think of nothing more stressing than trying out a new OS, for which you won't know the shortcuts, when you can't even see the panel

Come back any time

Comment

Working...
                              X